YORK, PA – The York College Spartan men's soccer team used a dominant second half to down #14 Washington & Lee 2-0 in a non-conference match from a very rainy and very chilly Graham Field on Sunday in York.
Score: York 2 – Washington & Lee 0
Records: York 3-1, W&L 1-3
Shots: York 9, W&L 6
Shots on Goal: York 3, W&L 1
Corner Kicks: York 0, W&L 0
Saves: York 1, W&L 1
Fouls: York 12, W&L 14
How It Happened
• The first half featured a whole lot of nothing. The Spartans did not attempt a shot while the Generals had just one shot that was blocked. Washington & Lee had a pair of harmless corner kicks as the rainy, cold conditions seemed to impact the ability for the teams to put together any sustained possession.
• The second half was a completely different story. The Green and White came out of the break and controlled the tempo and maintained possession in the Generals' defensive third. The Spartans finally broke through in the 53rd minute. The Spartans had a long kick off the foot of Marc Murgo. Senior Keith Witherell played the long pass of his head, flicking a brilliantly on-target pass to freshman Travis Gould. Gould collected the ball just outside the box, dribbled the ball towards the left side of the box. General goalie Michael Nyc came out to challenge but Gould kept his composure and finished after Nyc took a bad angle. The goal was Gould's first collegiate tally.
• Gould had a solid look with a header just over a minute later as the Spartans looked for insurance. York kept the pressure on as they fired off five more shots in the next seven minutes as they continued to pressure the General defense.
• York got a big goal in the 64th minute. Junior Barak Amige captured a loose ball at the top of the box, shimyed past a defender and slid a slick pass to the right side of the box, finding a wide open Witherell who banged home the pass for the 2-0 Spartan lead.
• The Spartans continued to carry the play until the final ten minutes when the Generals started to push up in an effort to get on the board. The Generals had their lone shot on goal as Tyler Runge hit a header that was saved by Spartan keeper Billy Bridegum to preserve the Spartans' first clean sheet of the year.
Travis Gould: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Keith Witherell: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Chase Crable: 1 shot
Aiden Wisley: 1 shot
Brook Addisu: 1 shot
Tyler Runge: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Dylan Ritch: 1 shot
Jack Parham: 1 shot
Will Hamryka: 1 shot
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (Win, 3-1)
Michael Nyc (W&L): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 1 save (Loss, 0-1)
York earned their first home win of the year … the Spartan win streak is now at three … it's York first three game win streak since the Spartans won three straight from October 15-22, 2016 … the shutout was the first of the season for sophomore goalie Billy Bridegum while it is the third of his career … the Spartans attempted a season-low nine shots but connected on two of those nine shots … for the first time this year, the Spartans did not attempt a corner kick … the game was played in a steady to hard rain during the match as temperatures hovered in the mid 50's, a dramatic departure from Wednesday's game at Stevenson when the heat index was over 100 during the match … the match is the first of just two home games the Spartans will have during the month of September.
York continues their brief two game home stand with a visit from Route 83 rival Johns Hopkins on Wednesday night under the lights. The #13 Blue Jays and Spartans will kick off under the lights at Graham Field at 7:00 pm.