SALISBURY, MD. – The York College men's soccer team battled to a 1-1 draw at Salisbury University in Capital Athletic Conference play on Sunday. Chris Hobbs scored the lone goal in the first half, lifting the Spartans ahead, but a late goal forced two scoreless periods of overtime. Freshman Billy Bridegum made 11 saves in the tie, matching the program record for saves in a game.
Records: York 5-7-2 (3-2-1 CAC), Salisbury 6-8-1 (2-3-1 CAC)
Shots: York 13, Salisbury 28
Shots on goal: York 3, Salisbury 14
Corner kicks: York 3, Salisbury 16
Saves: York 13, Salisbury 2
Fouls: York 12, Salisbury 21
How It Happened
• York entered the day riding consecutive wins, and three wins in the last four games, all in Capital Athletic Conference play.
• The Spartans started on the front foot, recording the first three shots of the game. The shots didn't lead to a goal, but York still managed to get on the board first. Just past the 20-minute mark, Chris Hobbs scored his fifth goal of the year, blasting one from long distance. Hobbs' goal propelled York to a 1-0 halftime lead after 45 minutes.
• With a lead to defend, Salisbury created more of the chances in the second half, still, York lead in the waning moments. But, in the 84th minute, Salisbury equalized. Ryan Spadin jumped all over a loose ball in the box, rising higher than a York defender, heading it past Billy Bridegum. Then, in the final minute, another set piece caused problems for the Spartans. Alex Eiben won a header, but it ricocheted off the crossbar, forcing overtime.
• With just over two minutes left in the first overtime, the Sea Gulls' corner led to header on net. Pat Harkanson was on the line, though, to guide it away. Then, with 20 seconds left, Zion Friday got on the end of a cross, but his shot was blocked, forcing a second overtime.
• Both teams defended well in the second half, limiting any real chances. In the final 10 seconds, York had a free kick, an opportunity to throw numbers in the box. But, Bridegum's free kick sailed over the goal, ending the heated rivalry game at a 1-1 tie.
Chris Hobbs: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Zion Friday: 2 shots on goal
Sea Gull Leaders
Ryan Spadin: 1 goal, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
Brooks Zentgraf: 4 shots, 4 shots on goal
Billy Bridegum (York): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 11 saves (T, 4-5-2)
Trevor Brookhart (Salisbury): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 2 saves (T, 6-8-1)
The Spartans are now 13-25-6 all-time against Salisbury … York won in last year's meeting at home … Billy Bridegum's 11 saves matches the program record for saves in a game (Charlie Johnson, 9/16/2015 at Johns Hopkins) … the freshman's previous high was eight against Christopher Newport on Sept. 23 … Chris Hobbs now has five goals this season, the team-high … in games when Hobbs has scored York is 3-1-1 … the Spartans now sit in fourth in the Capital Athletic Conference.
York stays on the road, heading to Wesley on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. The Spartans are 12-1-2 all-time against Wesley, having won the last five meetings.