HARRISBURG, PA – The York College men's soccer team used two Danny Morgan goals to dismiss PSU Harrisburg 3-0 on the road Wednesday to win its second consecutive in Capital Athletic Conference play. Senior Joel Teston added his first goal of the season for the Spartans, who have now scored nine in their last two games.
Records: York 4-6-1 (2-1 CAC), PSU Harrisburg 8-5 (1-2 CAC)
Shots: York 14, PSU Harrisburg 7
Shots on goal: York 9, PSU Harrisburg 1
Corner kicks: York 3, PSU Harrisburg 2
Saves: York 1, PSU Harrisburg 6
Fouls: York 12, PSU Harrisburg 13
How It Happened
• Early in the first half, Oscar Rodriguez and Joel Teston each had opportunities, and put shots on goal, but were saved. The first 15 minutes produced just three total shots, with two on goal, both coming from York.
• In the 18th minute, Tony Mosqueira whipped in a free kick that found Marc Murgo's head, but his attempt sailed high. A minute later, PSU goalie Hunter Cooper was forced into action again, this time laying out to stop a shot from Zion Friday.
• At the halftime break, York led on Morgan's goal, and also outshot the Lions 6-2, and 5-0 on target in a tough, physical contest that saw 14 combined fouls called in the first 45 minutes.
• In the 50th minute, the Green and White had two more chances, Friday missed high, and Nathan Bilbie blasted one off the crossbar. Friday created another opportunity in the 57th minute when he received a ball with his back to goal and defender on his back. He turned his defender and attacked down the middle of the field, but his shot missed just wide.
• In the 69th minute, the Spartans doubled their lead. Pat Harkanson received the ball on the right side, just outside the penalty box, split two defenders, beat a third and pushed it to the end line before finding Teston on the back post, who easily headed it into the back of the net. It was a truly quality goal and gave York some breathing room over Harrisburg.
• It didn't stop there, though. Michael Unis played Morgan in behind in the 74th minute, and almost made it 3-0 but Cooper was up to the challenge in goal for the Lions.
• The third goal would come, however. Mosqueira provided another dangerous service in the 78th minute off a free kick, Morgan got on the end of it, flicking it in for his second of the game, putting the game out of reach, 3-0.
Danny Morgan: 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
Joel Teston: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Tony Mosqueira: 1 assist
Pat Harkanson: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Daniel Juresic: 1 assist
Oscar Rodriguez: 2 shots on goal
Chase Vilga: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (York): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (W, 4-4-1)
Hunter Cooper (PSUH): 86:10 minutes played, 3 goals against, 5 saves (L,
Joshua Myers (PSUH): 3:50 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save
The Spartans are now 4-2 all-time against PSU Harrisburg … York fell in the last meeting with the Lions in 2016 … freshman Danny Morgan now has three goals on the year after his first multi-goal game of his career … Joel Teston scored his first of the season and 12th of his career … Billy Bridegum completed his second clean sheet of the season, but first resulting in a win … in 819:05 minutes played, the freshman has a 2.42 goals against average and 26 saves … the two-game win streak is the first since defeating Carroll (Wisc.) and Catholic in the first two games of the season.
York hosts Mary Washington on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at Graham Field. The Spartans are 15-18-2 all-time against the Eagles, having lost the last two.