LYNCHBURG, VA – The Randolph Wildcats netted a penalty kick with 1:36 left in the first overtime to edge the York College Spartans 1-0 in a hotly contested non-conference contest in Lynchburg, Virginia on Saturday afternoon.
The loss is the third straight for the Spartans after they started the season with two wins and a tie.
Records: York 2-3-1, Randolph 4-2
Shots: York 12, Randolph 10
Shots on Goal: York 4, Randolph 5
Corner Kicks: York 8, Randolph 3
Saves: York 4, Randolph 4
Fouls: York 9, Randolph 7
How It Happened
• The Spartans were on the attack early as they fired the game's first shot as Marc Murgo put the first shot on cage in the third minute of the game. York had a pair of corner kicks in the opening seven minutes but couldn't turn those opportunities into shots.
• The Spartans outshot the Wildcats 4-3 in the opening 45 minutes of play while they also held a 4-2 margin in corner kicks.
• Play got physical in the second half as the teams battled to get on top. There were eight combined fouls and four yellow cards in the second stanza.
• Overtime was full of action as Spartan goalie Billy Bridegum got knocked out of the game after a collision. A Frankie DiOrio header was cleared off the line by the Spartan defense on the ensuing corner kick. Spartan Zion Friday had a shot saved just over two minutes later. In the 96th minute, Joel Teston had a header off a corner saved off the line by the Wildcat defense to keep the game tied.
• The Spartans were whistled for a foul in the box in the 99th minute. Randolph's Adam Watson converted the penalty kick to end the game and give the Wildcats their fourth win of the year.
Marc Murgo: 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Zion Friday: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Joel Teston: 1 shot on goal
Adam Watson: 1 goal, 3 shots on goal
Barun Tamang: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Frankie DiOrio: 1 shot on goal
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 96:26 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Loss, 2-3-1)
Devin Weiner (YCP): 1:58 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
Austin Collier (RC): 98:24 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 4-2)
York is now 1-1 against Randolph in the all-time series which started last fall … the Spartans have not scored a goal since Zion Friday's tally in the 13th minute against Johns Hopkins … the Spartans had eight corner kicks in the game which tied their season high (vs. Carroll on Sept. 2) … York received a season-high two yellow cards in the match … York has scored just one goal in their last four games after scoring nine goals in their first two matches … York's 12 shots in the game were more than they had in their last two games combined (10 – 3 vs. Gettysburg and 7 vs. JHU).
The Spartans return home on Wednesday night to begin a challenging two game home stand. The Spartans welcome Messiah to Graham Field on Wednesday night at 7:00 pm in a renewal of their annual rivalry. Christopher Newport then invades Graham Field on Saturday night for the Capital Athletic Conference opener for the two squads at 7:00 pm.