Title Defense Begins with 1-1 Tie

Title Defense Begins with 1-1 Tie


ARLINGTON, VA – The York College Spartans opened their defense of their 2010 Capital Athletic Conference championship with a 1-1 double overtime tie against Marymount University on Saturday in Arlington, VA. The Spartans are now 3-2-1 overall and 0-0-1 in the CAC while the Saints stand at 1-3-2 overall while they are also 0-0-1 in the league.

The Spartans got the first great chance as junior Antonio Bua hit the post just 3:25 into the contest. The Saints went on the offensive as they collected three shots and two corners over the next 20 minutes before the Spartans got their next attempt on goal. The game would continue to go back and forth before Kjell Crooke slid a pass through the middle of the Spartan defense in the 43rd minute. Crooke's pass was collected by George Delgado and he finished the chance to give the Saints the 1-0 lead. That was the first goal by the Saints in a regular season game against the Spartans since 2005 when Tom Wasley scored at the 59:04 mark of the Spartans' 2-1 win on October 1. The goal snapped a 523:56 regular season scoreless streak for the Spartans against the Saints.  York had outscored Marymount 20-0 during their previous five regular season meetings.

The Spartans notched the equalizer early in the second half as Aaron Beale and Bua combined to feed sophomore Matt Yackel who banged the ball past Mike Madigan for his first collegiate goal.  Yackel's goal came 62:30 into the game as tally seemed to give York a much needed boost. The Spartans had back-to-back shots early in the 64th minute but Madigan recorded saves on both attempts as the game remained tied.

The two teams headed to overtime where the Saints outshot the Spartans 5-1 in the two extra sessions before the game ended in a tie.

Marymount outshot the Spartans 13-9 overall but just 4-3 in shots on goal.  The Saints edged York 7-6 in corner kicks including 2-0 in overtime.

Junior Jesse Derksen finished the game with three saves in his 110 minutes of play while Madigan notched two stops for the hosts.

The Saints goal in the game stopped a long streak of regular season CAC scoreless soccer for York. The Spartan streak had reached 1,072:01 as their last regular season conference goal allowed came on October 10, 2009 when Wesley College got a goal in the 71st minute. The Spartans then shutout their next 11 conference opponents by a combined total of 24-0 as York went 10-0-1 over that stretch. York also had a significant winning streak against the Saints as the tie snapped a 14-match winning streak against Marymount. The Spartans had outscored the Saints 48-8 over those 14 contests. Three of those meetings came in the Capital Athletic Conference playoffs. Marymount's last victory against York came on October 15, 1999, a 3-2 double overtime win.

The Spartans return to action on Tuesday night as they play Johns Hopkins University in a highly anticipated non-conference contest at Homewood Field in Baltimore, MD. Game time against the Blue Jays is set for 7:00 pm.

Matt Yackel photo courtesy of Zach Clabaugh (www.sharpedgefoto.com)