York wins 3-1; Advances to Round of 32

York wins 3-1; Advances to Round of 32

HOBOKEN, NJ - The York College men's soccer team ousted Dickinson College from the 2007 NCAA tournament with a 3-1 win Saturday night.  The victory vaults the Spartans (20-2) into the round of 32.  Dickinson ends their season after a strong 13-3-3 campaign.

On a cold fall evening in New Jersey, the Spartans came out of the locker room on fire posting the game's first shot barely 30 seconds into the match. Senior Jason Mancuso (Toms River, N.J./Toms River North) hit a dangerous 20 yard ripper that rattled the Dickinson crossbar.  The opening minutes seemed to be controlled by the York side but the green and white were unable to capitalize.

The Spartans' opening blitz seemed to wake-up the Red Devils who began to battle the green and white.  Several close attempts by Dickinson sent more cold chills through the Spartan faithful, but the defense held strong as the score remained at zero. 

Towards the middle of the opening frame, the Spartans once again began to control the pace of play.  In the 36th minute of action, Ryan Eaton (Horsham, Pa./Hatboro-Horsham) put the green and white up 1-0.  Junior defender Evan Scheffey (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) hit a free kick from near midfield that Mike Whalen (Philadelphia, Pa./LaSalle) was able to head back across the face of the goal.  Eaton finished up the loose ball to give his squad the one goal advantage.

Only 45 seconds later, Mancuso gave York the 2-0 lead as he found the back of the net for the 14th time this season.  Eaton served a beautiful ball from the right side of the pitch across the box to the streaking Mancuso.  The senior forward knocked home a sensational goal that he slotted just outside the reach of the Dickinson keeper and into the right side netting. 

The Spartans would take the 2-0 advantage into the halftime break. 

Just over two minutes into the second stanza, Dickinson slashed the York lead in half with a goal at the 47:18 mark.  Thomas Parkinson scored off a Dale Rodman pass to bring the Red Devils back to within one. 

Both sides battled back-and-forth for most of the remaining second half minutes.  Dickinson did get several good chances but were unable to capitalize. 

In the 86th minute, sophomore Mike O'Connell (Bowie, Md./Archbishop Spalding) secured the York victory as he slipped in his sixth goal of the season.  Jon Ports (Baltimore, Md./McDonogh) made a superb run down the left side of the pitch and played a ball along the turf to the awaiting O'Connell who promptly tallied.

Dickinson desperately tried to get back into the match with a late push but the York defense was up to the challenge.  Goalkeeper Kyle Marks (Yardley, Pa./Pennsbury) made a brilliant point blank save late in the match to ensure the two goal victory.   

York held a 17-11 advantage in shots while the Red Devils garnered a 6-2 advantage in penalty kicks.

On the evening, Marks notched three saves while his counterpart Rodrigo Barboza made five stops.

The Spartans are now scheduled to take on Eastern University in the round of 32.  The Eagles advanced on penalty kicks after drawing with Stevens Tech 1-1 through 110 minutes of action.  Game time is set for 6:00 pm with the winner moving on to the NCAA Sweet 16.