FROSTBURG, MD – The second ranked York College men's lacrosse team extended their win streak to ten with a hard-fought 8-6 Capital Athletic Conference win at Frostburg State University on Wednesday night in Frostburg, Maryland.
Records: #2 York 14-1 (6-0 CAC), FSU 9-7 (4-3 CAC)
Final Score: York 8, FSU 6
Shots: York 36, FSU 25
Shots on Goal: York 17, FSU 13
Ground Balls: York 31, FSU 23
Face Offs Won: York 12, FSU 5
Clears: York 18-for-18, FSU 15-for-18
Saves: York 7, FSU 9
Turnovers: York 15, FSU 14
Extra Man: York 0-for-2, FSU 0-for-2
How It Happened:
• Possessions were at a premium early in the game. The Spartans scored 55 second into the game as Matt Whitcher scored off a feed from Dillon Hannah to put York on top early. York would be held off the scoreboard the remainder of the quarter despite firing off nine shots in the quarter. The Bobcats tied the game on a Nate Collins tally with 6:10 in the opening quarter. That would be all the offense in the first quarter.
• York dominated the game in the second quarter as they went on a four goal spurt. Whitcher gave the Spartans a 2-1 lead as he struck for his second goal of the game 1:16 into the quarter. Junior Brad Casale made it 3-1 York with an unassisted goal at the 7:34 mark. Whitcher notched his third goal of the game less than a minute later as the York lead grew to 4-1. Thomas Pfeiffer closed out the first half scoring with a goal nine seconds prior to the half as York took a four goal lead to the break.
• The Bobcats got themselves back into the game in the third as they outscored York 3-1. Junior Hunter Davis had York's lone goal in the quarter as he scored off a pass from Whitcher.
• Hannah put York up 7-4 with a goal with 4:29 left in the game. Frostburg's Daniel Palandino notched a goal 1:20 later as the Bobcats got to within two. Davis answered back with an unassisted goal with 1:48 left in the game, pushing the York lead back to three. Adam Gross finished out the scoring 15 seconds later as the Bobcats won the face off and Gross notched the goal.
• The Bobcats won the ensuing face off but a turnover gave the ball back to York with 41 seconds left. Frostburg got the ball back with 12 seconds left in the game but wouldn't be able to get a shot off as the Spartans closed out their 10th straight win.
Matt Whitcher: 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Hunter Davis: 2 goals, 2 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
Dillon Hannah: 1 goal, 1 assist
Brad Casale: 1 goal
Nick Roman: 5 ground balls
Billy Sasso: 12-for-17 at the X, 5 ground balls
Adam Gross: 2 goals, 1 assist
Nate Collins: 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 ground ball
Daniel Paladino: 1 goal, 1 assist
Keegan Colegrove: 1 goal, 2 ground balls
Bradley Jones: 2 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
Landry Marshall (YCP): 60:00 minutes played, 7 saves, 6 goals against, 5 ground balls (Win, 14-1)
Jack Marks (FSU): 60:00 minutes played, 9 saves, 8 goals against, 7 ground balls (Loss, 9-7)
The Spartans are now 7-1 all-time against the Bobcats as York has won three straight in the series … head coach Brandon Childs now has 97 career wins as the head coach of the Spartans … Childs is 97-34 in his seventh year at the helm of the program … the 10-match win streak ties the school record set last year (March 8 to April 8) … the 14-1 start ties the 2017 squad for the best start in school history … York failed to reach double figures in goals for just the second time this year … York's double figure goal streak ended at nine games … York failed to record a man-up goal for the third game in a row … senior Matt Whitcher had three goals for the second game in a row … Whitcher now has six multi-goal games for the year … Whitcher is third on the squad in ground balls with 44 … Whitcher also has 16 caused turnovers, the third highest total on the team to J.D. Beck's 18 and Kevin Witchey's 17 … senior goalie Landry Marshall now ranks third on the single season wins list as he is 14-1 for the campaign … York is now 7-0 on the road … York was a perfect 18-for-18 in the clear as the Spartans are clearing at 90.6% for the year … the Spartan opponents are clearing at just 66.2% (133-for-355) … the Spartans have outscored their opponents 57-17 in the first quarter this year … the Spartans have been balanced in their scoring for the year as they have 57 goals in the first quarter, 58 in the second, 58 in the third and 52 in the fourth quarter.
The Spartans return to Kinsley Field on Saturday afternoon when they host Southern Virginia University in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. First face off is set for 1:00 pm.