Bing Leads Spartan Comeback in Tournament's First Round

Bing Leads Spartan Comeback in Tournament's First Round

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – On the strength of a 6-0 run in the second half, the York College men's lacrosse team extended their season Sunday afternoon courtesy of a 9-8 comeback triumph over Mary Washington in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference tournament. Avenging their home loss to the Eagles last Wednesday, the Spartans improve to 9-6 on the year and move on to the semifinal round of the league playoffs. The host Eagles bow out of the tournament with a 10-5 mark.

Facing a 7-3 deficit after a Mary Washington goal at the 11:40 mark of the third quarter, the Green and White embarked on their 6-0 spurt, one in which Blake Bing would prove to be a huge contributor. Tyler Davis brought the Spartans to within three at 7-4 with his first goal of the day with 9:52 left in the third. Bing would follow with a pair of goals, six and a half minutes apart, that cut the Eagle advantage to one. Bing finished off a John Powell assist at the 7:16 mark before finding the back of the net with just 52 seconds to play in the third courtesy of a B.J. Blaker helper.

York was not yet done in the quarter however, as Tyler Roy secured the ensuing face-off for the Green and White. With just 12 seconds to go before the end of the period, rookie standout Tyler Hutson netted his 47th goal of the season, this one off an assist from Davis, to tie the game at 7-7.

The Spartans' four-goal run in the third spilled over into the fourth quarter as York tallied two more within the opening five minutes of the period. With 10:49 left in the game, Hutson found Bing who registered his third goal of the day to give York their first lead of the game at 8-7.

Following another Roy face-off win, the Spartans registered an insurance goal just 18 seconds later as Hutson recorded his third of the contest. In less than 15 minutes of play, the Spartans had come all the way back from trailing 7-3 to now holding a 9-7 advantage with 10:31 remaining.

From there the York defense only allowed one Eagle goal amidst an attacking flurry from Mary Washington. The hosts registered of 15 shots over the final 7:45 of the contest including six over the final 1:20, part of which included a man-advantage situation for the Eagles. Despite the pressure, the York defense closed out 9-8 win for the Spartans.

For the game, the Green and White put together a tremendous 15-for-19 performance in face-offs, led by Roy's 14-for-18 effort. Mary Washington did lead 41-30 in ground balls yet the Spartan mentor was pleased with York's work in these two areas of the game.

"It was a great team effort," head coach Brandon Childs noted. "We did a great job in face-offs and ground balls."

Bing and Hutson who each proved instrumental in the 6-0 run, each posted three goals on the day while Hutson added an assist. Blaker registered a goal and two helpers while Davis and Corey Cooke each tallied once. Seth Krolus collected four ground balls for York. In the goal, senior Tyler Powell recorded 13 saves for the Green and White including three saves during the fourth quarter.

Sean Dacey led the Mary Washington attack with a trio of goals while he also contributed one assist. Paul Tunick registered two goals for the Eagles. Matt Prin notched ten stops in the Eagle goal.

The fourth-seeded Spartans now turn their attention to Wednesday, April 25, as the Green and White travel to top-seeded Salisbury for the conference semifinal tilt.

PHOTO: The Spartans celebrate during a game earlier this season. Courtesy of David Sinclair -