DELAWARE, PA – The York College men's golf team got their fall campaign off to a strong start on Saturday as they hold the team lead after the first round of the 2018 Montgomery Cup Championship hosted by Rosemont College at the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort.
Not only do the Spartans hold the team lead but freshman Casey Leebrick fired a five-under-par 67 as he leads the field.
The Spartans shot a day one total of 282, as they hold a three-stroke lead over Franklin & Marshall. Allegheny is five strokes back at 287 while McDaniel is fourth at 288. Rosemont rounds out the top five at 301 in the 12-team field.
The 282 is a new school record for the Spartans, besting the previous school record of 283 that was set April 14, 2018 at the Rosemont Ravens Invitational at Honeybrook Golf Club in Downingtown.
Top Spartan Finishers
• Freshman Casey Leebrick made his collegiate debut a memorable one as he set a new school record with a five-under-par 67. Leebrick fired a three-under 33 on the front nine as he birdied two, six, and nine. Leebrick then birdied 11, 15, and 16 before finishing his round with a bogey on 18. He holds a two stroke lead over a pack of four players.
• Included in the group of players at three under is senior Tyler Newton as he had an excellent day with a 69. Newton shot an even par 36 on the front with birdies at three and five but he notched bogies at eight and nine. He fired a three-under back side with a birdie at ten and an eagle three on the par five 15th hole.
• Sophomore Luke Fayocavitz was York's third finisher on Saturday as he shot an even-par 72. Fayocavitz carded a one-under 35 on the front with bogies on the fifth and eighth holes while he notched birdies on three, four, and six. Fayocavitz had a birdie on 13 but bogeyed 10 and 18 to finish with the 72.
• Sophomore Matthew Chalupa was York's fourth scorer on Saturday as he shot a two-over-par 74. Chalupa was even par on the front with birdies on two and nine and bogeys on five and seven. He took a triple on 11 but bounced back with birdies on 12 and 17 before ending his round with a bogey on 18.
• Sophomore Joel Marshall was York's fifth tournament participant as he shot a 79 for the round.
He Said It
"We got off to a hot start today and were able to stay composed even when we dropped a few shots in the middle of the round," said Spartan head coach David Boslough. "We got some strong performances from Tyler Newton and Casey Leebrick. Casey's day was impressive considering this was he collegiate debut. We will still need to play aggressive tomorrow as we are only ahead by three strokes. I am very happy with our very first tournament round of the year."
The Spartans will look to close out the victory on Sunday afternoon when they play round two of the tournament. The second round is slated for a 1:00 pm start.