MOOSIC, PA – The York College men's golf squad overcame a 10-stroke day one deficit to earn a two-shot win at the Gino Biondi Memorial Tournament at Glenmaura National Golf Club in Moosic, Pennsylvania on Sunday.
The Spartans finished with a two-day total of 624 after shooting a blistering 305 as a team on Sunday. The 305 was 11 strokes better than the second Rosemont Ravens as they finished with a two-day total of 626. The tournament championship was the first for second year head coach David Boslough.
Top Five Teams
1. York (Pa.) – 624 (319 + 305)
2. Rosemont – 626 (310 + 316)
3. Marywood – 634 (309 + 325)
4. Scranton – 642 (314 + 328)
5. Swarthmore – 644 (311 + 333)
Top Spartan Performers
• Junior Tyler Newton ended his fall campaign with another stellar tournament as he finished second overall with a two day total of 149. Newton shot a one-over-par 72 on Saturday and they fired a six-over-par 77 on Sunday. Newton finished two strokes back of Swarthmore's Dan Altieri who finished with a two-day total of 147. Altieri shot 71 on Saturday and 76 on Sunday. Newton finishes the fall with a team-best average of 75.5 through ten rounds of play. Newton earned three top three finishes for the fall campaign.
• Sophomore Morgan Uhlick came on strong on Sunday as he finished tied for eighth with an overall score of 156. Uhlick shot an 82 on Saturday but was eight strokes better on Sunday with a three-over-par 74. Sunday's 74 was tied with Marywood's Erik Diamond for the best round of the day. The top ten finish is Uhlick's second of the fall campaign. He finished tied for fifth at the Harrisburg Fall Invitational for his other top ten this year.
• Freshmen Robert Cocorikis and Luke Fayocavitz both finished the fall with top 20 finishes in the tournament. Cocorikis finished the tournament with a two-day score of 160, good for a tie for 13th. Cocorikis shot an 82 on Saturday and then bettered that score by four strokes on Sunday with a 78. Fayocavitz had a little bit bigger spread as he finished with a two-day total of 161. Fayocavitz shot 85 on Saturday and then had a nine stroke improvement with a five-over-par 76 on Sunday. Fayocavitz finished tied for 16th in the tournament. Fayocavitz had four top 20 finishes for the fall while Cocorikis had two top 15 finishes this fall.
• Freshman Mitchell Hardin was York's fifth tournament participant as he finished 24th out of the 44 tournament participants. He shot a two-day total of 168 with an 83 on Saturday and 85 on Sunday.
The Spartans were just one of two teams in the tournament who improved their team score from Saturday to Sunday as York was a whooping 14 strokes better on day two … Misericordia was the other team to improve as they were one stroke better in finishing eighth in the tournament … host Marywood led the tournament after one round at 309 while Rosemont was second at 310 and Swarthmore third at 311 … after shooting their highest team score of the year on Saturday, the Spartans responded with a 14-stroke improvement, their biggest differential of the year … the Spartans' last tournament championship came at the Alvernia Fall Invitational on October 13, 2015 as York won the one-day tournament with a team score of 331.
The tournament concludes the Spartans fall schedule. The Green and White will return to action in early March. The spring tournament schedule will be released on November.