ABBOTTSTOWN, PA – The York College golf squad sits tied for fourth of a 17 team field at the two-day Mason-Dixon Collegiate Championship hosted by McDaniel College at the Bridges Golf Club in Abbottstown, PA.
The Spartans shot a day one total of 317 as they are 11 strokes back of tournament host and leader McDaniel.
Top Five Teams
1. McDaniel – 306
2. Franklin & Marshall – 311
3. Denison – 316
T4. York – 317
T4. Stevenson – 317
T4. McDaniel (B) – 317
• Freshman Luke Fayocavitz led the Spartans with a four-over-par 76 as he tied for fifth after day one. Fayocavitz had one birdie on the front nine as he birdied the par four ninth hole to shoot 39 on the front. He opened the back nine with a birdie en route to a one-over-par 37 on the back. Fayocavitz sits two strokes back of tournament co-leaders Kevin Keane from McDaniel and Justin Lankler from F&M.
• Freshman Robert Cocorikis made his collegiate debut with an eight-over-par 80 to finish tied for 23rd in the opening round. Cocorikis shot 40 on the front with a birdie on five. He shot a matching 40 on the back nine to finish with an 80.
• Sophomore Morgan Uhlick finished tied with Cocorikis for 23rd with an 80 of his own. Uhlick shot a 41 on the front as he had five pars, three bogies and one double bogey.
• Senior Michael Fedak was York's fourth finisher on the day as he carded an 81 to finish tied for 31st in the 89 player field. Fedak shot 43 on the back and bounced back with a two-over-par 38 on the back nine.
• Junior Tyler Newton was York's fifth tournament participant as he shot 82 to finish tied for 41st. Newton shot 39 on the front including a birdie two on the par three seventh hole. He shot 43 on the back including a nine on the par five 15th hole.
The Spartans conclude the tournament on Sunday morning for the second round of the tournament. The tee times start at 8:30 on Sunday.