CAPE CHARLES, VA – The York College men's golf squad opened their 2017 fall schedule with a third place finish at the six-team Bay Creek Invitational hosted by Christopher Newport University. The two-day tournament was held at the Nicklaus Course at Bay Creek Resort in Cape Charles, Virginia.
1. Christopher Newport – 602 (305 & 297)
2. Mary Washington – 604 (306 & 298)
3. York (Pa.) – 616 (313 & 303)
4. Goucher – 638 (316 & 322)
5. Penn St. Harrisburg – 663 (338 & 325)
6. Southern Virginia – 706 (361 & 345)
Top Spartan Performers
• Junior Tyler Newton got off to a great start to the season as he finished third in the tournament with a two-day total of 145. Newton shot a three-over par 75 on Monday but carded a blistering two-under-par 70 on Tuesday to finish two strokes off the lead. Newton's 70 on Tuesday was the best round of the tournament, two strokes in front of tournament champion Sebastian Bonte from Mary Washington and runner up David Rabil of Christopher Newport. Bonte finished with a two-day total of 143 while Rabil shot an even par 144.
• Freshmen Mitchell Hardin and Joel Marshall both had strong collegiate debuts at the tournament as they tied for 11th place with two day totals of 156. Hardin and Marshall both shot 79 on Monday followed by matching 77's on Tuesday. Hardin and Marshall were half of the four-way tie for 11th. They finished two strokes back of a top ten finish.
• Luke Fayocavitz, another Spartan freshman, was York's fourth scorer as he finished with a two-day total of 159. Fayocavitz shot an 80 on Monday followed by a 79 on Tuesday. He was just two strokes out a top 15 finish in his collegiate debut.
• Freshman Matthew Chalupa was York's fifth tournament participant as he finished tied for 27th. Chalupa shot an 83 on Monday and an 84 on Tuesday for a two-day total of 167.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday, September 16 when they travel to the Country Club of Harrisburg for the two-day PSU Harrisburg Fall Invitational. Saturday's round starts at 12:00 pm while Sunday's round is scheduled for a 9:00 am start.