FREDERICKSBURG, MD – The York College men's basketball squad saw their season-high four game win streak halted as the University of Mary Washington Eagles downed the Spartans 74-62 on Saturday. The Eagles outscored York 42-18 in the second half as UMW recorded the come-from-behind win at Rosner Arena. The Spartans led by as many as 14 only to have the Eagles hold York to 21.2% shooting in the second half en-route to the home win.
Final Score: York 62, University of Mary Washington 74
Records: York 11-6 (4-2 CAC), UMW 13-4 (5-1 CAC)
Field Goals: York 21-for-60, UMW 26-for-58
Field Goal %: York 35%, UMW 44.8%
Three Point FG: York 12-for-45, UMW 8-for-26
Three Point FG %: York 26.7%, UMW 30.8%
Free Throws: York 8-for-10, UMW 14-for-17
Free Throw %: York 80%, UMW 82.4%
Rebounds: York 35, UMW 41
Assists: York 13, UMW 11
Turnovers: York 10, UMW 11
Blocked Shots: York 0, UMW 3
Steals: York 2, UMW 7
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a great start in the game as hot shooting from three allowed York to sprint out to a 14-6 lead. The Eagles cut the Spartan lead to six on a three-point play from A.J. Robinson but York answered with a 15-7 run to push their lead to 14 (32-18) with 5:46 left in the half.
• The Spartan lead bounced between nine and 14 points over the final five minutes of the half as the Green and White took a 44-32 lead to the intermission. York was great in the first half as the Spartans shot 51.9% from the floor while they also went 8-for-19 (42.1%) from three. The Spartans also went 8-for-10 from the line in their prolific first half. One problem for York came with three seconds left in the half as senior standout Jason Bady was called for a tough foul, his second of the game, in the waning seconds of the half. It allowed the Eagles to get a pair of free throws but more importantly, gave Bady a cheap second foul.
• The second half could not have started worse for the Spartans. The Eagles came out of the intermission and took the play to the Spartans. Mary Washington got a three pointer from Mark Madison on their first possession. That triple kick started a 14-3 run that cut the Spartan lead to one with 11:40 left in the half. Bady also picked up two more personal fouls during the stretch as York was forced to play without one of the best players in the conference for extended stretches of the second half.
• The Eagles kept rolling while the Spartans couldn't hit a perimeter shot. The Eagles tied the game at 49 and then ripped off a 10-3 run to take a 59-52 lead with 6:10 left. York cut their deficit to four on a Zach Novick three with 5:30 left but that's as close as they would get. Mary Washington answered Novick's three with an 11-5 run, pushing the lead to 10. York would not get any closer than eight the rest of the way as they suffered their second CAC road loss of the year.
• York went just 7-for-33 (21.2%) from the floor and 4-for-26 (15.4%) from three in the second half. The Spartans also did not attempt a free throw in the second half. Conversely, the Eagles shot a blistering 57.7% from the floor in the second half while they also went 5-of-11 (45.5%) from distance and 7-for-10 from the charity stripe.
Zach Novick: 14 points, 5 rebounds, 5-for-7 FG, 4-for-6 3PT FG
Jason Bady: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 5-for-6 FT
Darin Gordon: 11 points, 4 rebounds
Jared Wagner: 9 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Johnny Cronin: 17 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 6-for-6 FG, 5-for-7 FT
Mark Madison: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 6-for-6 FT
Jacob Williams: 13 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
The all-time series between the Spartans and Eagles is now tied at 36 wins each … the Spartans have lost seven straight at Rosner Arena as their last win came on February 25, 2012 when the Spartans beat the Eagles for the Capital Athletic Conference championship … York attempted 45 three pointers, one short of the school record and the third time in the last four games they have shot more than 40 threes in a game … York made 12 threes but their 26.7% shooting percentage was their third worse percentages of the year (23.1% at Stockton and 26.5% at Swarthmore) … York did not block a shot while they also had a season-low two steals in the loss … for the fourth time in the last five games, York had more assists than turnovers … Mary Washington had just 13 fouls in the game, matching the lowest total for a Spartan opponent this year … York's 10 trips to the free throw line was their second lowest total of the year (7 attempts vs. PSU Harrisburg) … junior Zach Novick tallied 14 points to lead York and that's one point short of tying his career-high of 15 set on January 9 at PSU Harrisburg … Novick's scoring total is the first time a non-starter has led the Green and White in scoring in a game … Mary Washington is now tied for first along with Christopher Newport as the Eagles improve to 7-0 at Rosner Arena … Mary Washington has beaten Christopher Newport, Salisbury, and York at home in the first half of the league slate.
The Spartans return home to begin a season-high three game homestand starting Wednesday night when York hosts Frostburg State in a key Capital Athletic Conference contest. Tip time is set for 8:00 pm at Charles Wolf Gymnasium.