YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team used tremendous defense and timely shooting to down Salisbury University 75-59 in the semifinals of the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference tournament on Thursday night in York. The Spartans advance to face the top seeded Christopher Newport Captains on Saturday afternoon for the Capital Athletic Conference championship.
Game #26 – CAPITAL ATHLETIC CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
Records: #12 York 22-4, SAL 18-9
Final Score: York 75, SAL 59
Field Goals: York 24-for-53, SAL 22-for-56
Field Goal %: York 45.3%, SAL 39.3%
Three Point FG: York 13-for-27, SAL 4-for-15
Three Point FG%: York 48.1%, SAL 26.7%
Free Throws: York 14-for-19, SAL 11-for-15
Free Throw %: York 73.7%, SAL 73.3%
Rebounds: York 35, SAL 32
Assists: York 16, SAL 10
Turnovers: York 12, SAL 15
Blocked Shots: York 4, SAL 2
Steals: York 12, SAL 6
How It Happened:
• The Spartans could not have gotten off to a better start as York blitzed Salisbury with a 12-0 run to start the game. Senior Matt Scamuffo hit a three on York's first possession to get the Spartans started off right. Senior Dalton Myers made it 17-4 on a three pointer as York pushed the lead to 13 just five minutes into the game.
• What the quick start did was fuel the Spartan defense as the Green and White was flying around to the ball while Scamuffo put the clamps on the CAC's fifth leading scorer Chad Barcikowski. Barcikowski picked up his second foul with 9:41 left in the half and Salisbury's top marksman took the bench for the remainder of the half.
• York's lead grew to as many as 14 on a Jared Wagner free throw with 6:13 left in the half. The Sea Gulls seemed to steady the ship as they outscored York 8-2 over the next two minutes to trim their deficit to eight but York would take a 37-27 lead to the locker room.
• The game was won for the Spartans in the opening five mintues of the second half as Jason Bady was a one man wrecking crew. Bady led the Spartans on a 13-3 run to start the half, turning the 10-point halftime advantage into a 20-point bulge. Bady started the run with a three pointer and followed with a pair of free throws. He closed the run with a driving layup as he was responsible for seven of the 13 points on the run.
• The Sea Gulls cut the lead to 18 but York quickly got the lead back into the 20's. The York led grew to a game-high 28 at 70-42 with 5:50 left in the game. The Sea Gulls would outscore York 17-5 the rest of the way but that would only be cosmetic as the final verdict wasn't really in doubt for most of the second half.
Matt Scamuffo: 19 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 7-for-14 FG, 5-for-9 3PT FG
Jason Bady: 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocked shots, 3 steals, 5-for-7 FG, 2-for-2 3PT FG, 3-for-4 FT
Dalton Myers: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Blayde Reich: 11 points ,7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 3-for-6 FG, 2-for-2 3PT FG, 3-for-4 FT
Lucas Martin: 14 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal
Gary Briddell: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Johnny Fierstein: 8 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist
The Spartans snapped an 0-for-5 record against Salisbury in the CAC tournament as the Gulls had been a Spartan nemesis in the tourney … York took two of three games against Salisbury as York avenged their lone home loss of the year … York is now 38-41 all-time against Salisbury ... the Spartans are now 11-1 at Wolf Gymnasium … the Spartans will be making their sixth CAC championship game in tournament history as they won titles in 2004-05 and 2011-12 … the 2004-05 championship was won at old Wolf Gym while the 2011-12 title was earned on the road at Mary Washington … the Spartans have never played CNU in the CAC tournament … York is now 22-21 all-time in the CAC Tournament … York made 13 three pointers in the win and that's the 11th time this year they have cashed in double digits in three pointers … the 48.1% mark from three is the fifth time this year they have shot better than 40% from three in a game … York ended their three game streak of being outrebounded as they held a 35-32 edge on the glass … York shot 73.7% from the free throw line as they were above 70% for the 18th time during the campaign … York is now 16-1 when leading at the half … York is now 17-0 when shooting better than 45% from the floor … York is now 14-2 when holding their opponents below 45% from the floor as Salisbury shot 39.3% from the field … Salisbury finished the game with four three point field goals, their second lowest mark of the year and a far cry from the 13 they made in their February 10 win at York … York is now 13-0 when having more assists than turnovers in a game … the Spartan defense bottled up Salisbury's top scoring threat, Chad Barcikowski, as the senior ended his career with one point on 0-7 shooting from the floor and 1-of-3 from the line while he also had a season low one rebound in his 26 minutes of action … Barcikowski also had three turnovers for the Sea Gulls … York scored 19 points off of Salisbury's 15 turnovers … Salisbury turned their 10 offensive rebounds into 13 second chance points … senior Matt Scamuffo's 19 points was his biggest offensive output in his last six games since he scored 19 against Wesley on January 31 … Scamuffo now has 1,330 points as he passed former Spartan standout Paul Kouvaris for 12th on the all-time scoring list … senior Dalton Myers tallied 11 points as he now has 1,451 points as he remains in ninth place all time … former Spartan All-American Nick Brady is in eighth place with 1,524 points … senior Blayde Reich now has 1,102 points as he is nine points out of 20th place on the all-time list … junior Jason Bady was outstanding in the win as he notched all 15 of his points in the decisive second half while he also had five rebounds and two more highlight blocked shots to add to his already impressive resume of swats during the campaign … junior Mike Frauenheim came off the bench to tally seven points in the second half including a pair of three pointers in the big second half.
The Spartans head to Christopher Newport on Saturday in search of their third Capital Athletic Conference men's basketball championship. The Spartans and Captains tip off at 2:00 pm in the Freeman Center at Newport News, Virginia. Full coverage of the championship game will be available at www.ycpspartans.com.