NEWPORT NEWS, VA – The York College men's basketball suffered an 81-71 loss in their 2017-18 season finale at Christopher Newport University on Saturday night. The Captains will be the number one seed in the upcoming Capital Athletic Conference tournament after both teams finished 14-4 in the league. The Captains earned the tie breaker as York, despite sitting atop the CAC standings all year, will now be the two seed in next week's tournament. Both team have earned first round byes in the tournament and will both host semifinal games on Thursday.
Records: #8 York 21-4 (14-4 CAC), CNU 20-5 (14-4 CAC)
Final Score: York 71, CNU 81
Field Goals: York 24-for-61, CNU 26-for-58
Field Goal %: York 39.3%, CNU 44.8%
Three Point FG: York 5-for-24, CNU 8-for-23
Three Point FG %: York 20.8%, CNU 34.8%
Free Throws: York 18-for-28, CNU 21-for-27
Free Throw %: York 64.3%, CNU 77.8%
Rebounds: York 36, CNU 42
Assists: York 13, CNU 9
Turnovers: York 15, CNU 16
Blocked Shots: York 2, CNU 5
Steals: York 9, CNU 8
How It Happened
• The Spartans could not have gotten off to a worse start as the Captains sprinted out to a 15-2 lead just over six minutes into the game. The Spartans started the game 0-for-11 from the field as they could not get a shot to fall to start the game.
• The Green and White spent the remainder of the first half climbing out of the early hole they found themselves in. The Spartans cut the lead to six four different times including on a Dalton Myers' three pointer with eight seconds left in the half as York went to the break down 33-27.
• The Spartans opened the second half on an 11-3 run as they took a 38-36 lead on a Myers dunk with 16:16 left in the game. The Captains answered with an 8-0 run that gave them a 44-38 lead, a lead they would hold over the next five minutes.
• York trailed by seven at 49-42 and the Spartans ripped off an 8-0 run to give them a 50-49 lead. Again, the Captains answered with a game-clinching 14-2 run as they took a 63-52 lead with just under five minutes left in the game.
• York cut the lead to five on a Jason Bady free throw with 35 seconds left but the Captains outscored York 5-0 the rest of the way to secure the 10-point win.
• CNU converted 11-of-12 from the free throw line over the final 2:38 to secure the win. Conversely, York went 2-for-7 over the same stretch as they couldn't complete the comeback. CNU's last field goal came on Aaron McFarland's corner three pointer with 2:57 left in the game.
Blayde Reich: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Dalton Myers: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal
Jason Bady: 9 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 2 steals
Jared Wagner: 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 3 points
Cutch Ellis: 22 points, 12 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 assist, 10-for-12 FT
Aaron McFarland: 21 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal
Tyler Femmi: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
Spencer Marin: 9 points, 4 rebounds
The Spartans are now 2-10 all-time against the Captains as they have never won at the Freeman Center … both teams earned 10-point wins at home … the two teams will share the regular season championship … York's last regular season championship came in the 2007-08 season … York has won the regular season championship in four seasons … The Spartans shot 48.5% in the second half but it wasn't enough to overcome their 8-for-28 (28.6%) effort in the first half … the Spartans made just five three pointers in the loss and that's the fewest since their loss at Mary Washington on January 20 … York went just 11-for-19 (57.8%) from the free throw line in the second half while the Captains sank 18-of-22 (81.8%) in the decisive second half … CNU outrebounded the Spartans 42-36 … York has been outrebounded in their last three games and in four of their last five … York went through the CAC with a 9-0 record in the first round of the league but went 5-4 in their second trip through the league … senior Blayde Reich led York with 22 points as he reached the 20 point plateau for the eighth time this year … Reich now has 1,091 points as he is now 21st on the all-time scoring list … Reich passed Jason Saurbaugh (1,082 points) in the game … Dalton Myers tallied 17 points as he is now at 1,440 points as he is ninth on the all-time list … Myers trails Nick Brady (1,524 points) by 84 points … Myers played his 100th career game for the Spartans on Saturday … senior Matt Scamuffo now has 1,311 points as he trails Paul Kouvaris for 12th place by 10 points.
The Spartans will be off until Thursday, February 22 when they will host the winner of the Salisbury/Wesley first round game which will be contested on Tuesday night. Tip time at Charles Wolf Gymnasium is set for 7:00 pm.