FREDERICKSBURG, VA – The York College men's basketball team saw their school record winning streak come to an end as the Mary Washington Eagles edged the Spartans 59-57 in Capital Athletic Conference action on Saturday in Rosner Arena in Fredericksburg on Saturday.
The Eagles earned their sixth straight win against the Spartans in Fredericksburg as York has not won on the road against UMW since the 2012 CAC Championship game.
Records: #4 York 16-1 (9-1 CAC), Mary Washington 12-5 (6-4 CAC)
Final Score: York 57, UMW 59
Field Goals: York 22-for-54, UMW 23-for-58
Field Goal %: York 40.7%, UWM 39.7%
Three Point FG: 5-for-21, UMW 7-for-23
Three Point FG%: York 23.8%, UMW 30.4%
Free Throws: York 8-for-12, UMW 6-for-10
Free Throw %: York 66.7%, UWM 60%
Rebounds: York 40, UMW 31
Assists: York 12, UMW 10
Turnovers: York 20, UMW 16
Blocked Shots: York 1, UMW 2
Steals: York 4, UMW 8
How It Happened:
• The Spartans pushed out to an early lead but the Eagles came right back and a back-and-forth first half ensued. The Spartans' largest lead was four and came at 9-5 less than four minutes into the game. The Eagles led by as many as seven at 30-23 with 4:26 left in the half. York ended the half on an 11-3 run as they took a 34-33 lead to the break.
• The first half featured two ties and six lead changes as neither team could really take control of the game.
• The Eagles came sprinting out of the intermission as they opened the second half on a 10-3 run. The run opened up a six-point lead just over five and a half minutes into the half. The UMW lead grew to as many as eight but York outscored the Eagles 11-4 to cut their deficit to one at 51-50 with 4:29 left in the game.
• The two teams struggled on the offensive end much of the second half as neither team could forge any offensive consistency. The Spartans tied the game for the fifth and final time on a Jared Wagner free throw with 2:28 left in the game. A.J. Robinson canned a three pointer on the ensuing possession, giving the Eagles a 56-53 lead with just over two minutes left.
• The Spartans got a Jason Bady lay up on their next possession, cutting the Eagle lead to one. York forced a turnover on the next Eagle possession but the Spartans gave it right back with 1:12 left in regulation. Jacob Williams converted a huge lay-up with the shot clock running down with 45 seconds left to put the Eagles back up three points. The Spartans thought they tied the game 12 seconds later as Dalton Myers hit a long jumper that appeared to be a three but was ruled a two as York still trailed by one with 32 seconds left. After a pair of fouls, Eric Shaw split a pair of free throws to put UMW back up by two points. The Spartans committed their 20th and final turnover with nine seconds left. Shaw would miss another free throw and the Spartans had one last chance to tie the game but York didn't get the shot off in time and the school record win streak came to an end.
Dalton Myers: 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 9-for-15 FG, 2-for-2 FT
Jason Bady: 9 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists
Matt Scamuffo: 9 points, 3 assists, 1 rebound
Mary Washington Leaders:
Drew Johnson: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
Johnny Cronin: 11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals
AJ Robinson: 11 points, 2 rebounds, 2 steals
Jacob Williams: 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
The Spartans and Eagles split their conference regular season series as York won at home by three and the Eagles held serve at home with the two-point win … York holds a slight 36-35 lead in the all-time series against the Eagles … the Spartans entered the game averaging a league-best 86.9 points per game as they were held to their lowest offensive output of the year … York's previous low scoring game came against the same Eagles team as York won 66-61 in York in December … York had just one double digit scorer in the game and that's the first time they haven't had at least three players in double figures in a game … the win for the Eagles marks the highest ranked team they have ever beaten as York entered the game fourth in the country … York's 20 turnovers marked the fifth game they have had 20 or more … the 20 miscues led to 12 Eagle points … the game featured five ties and seven lead changes … York's five three pointers were their second lowest total of the season (4 vs. Frostburg State) … York's 40.7% mark from the floor was their third lowest total of the season … the Green and White shot 39.3% from the floor in the win over Mary Washington in December … take out the two games against Mary Washington and York is averaging 88.4 points per game … senior Dalton Myers now has 1,304 career points as he is two points away from Scott Bortner (1974-78) for 12th place … senior Matt Scamuffo is now at 1,230 career points which is good for 15th place on the list, 44 points back of John Ely (1998-2002) … senior Blayde Reich continues to get closer to 1,000 career points as he sits at 978 points … junior Jason Bady set a new career-high with 15 rebounds and that's the ninth best total in school history … Bady now has a pair of double figure rebound games this year … Myers' 20 point performance is his eighth of this year, one game after he was forced to miss the St. Mary's game due to illness … Myers has now reached double figures in 15 of his 16 games this season ... the 16-game win streak is two games better than the previous record held by the 2004-05 Spartan squad ... the loss is York first since the CAC semifinal loss at Salisbury on February 23, 2017.
The Spartans conclude their three-game road trip with a trek to Frostburg, Maryland to face the Bobcats in a CAC contest on Wednesday night in the Bobcat Sports Arena. Tip time is set for 8:00 pm following the women's contest at 6:00 pm.