YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team earned their 14th straight win as they bested Penn State Harrisburg 88-78 in Capital Athletic Conference play on Wednesday night in York. The Spartans are ranked eighth in the nation in the most recent d3hoops.com poll as they are now 14-0 overall and 7-0 in the league.
The home game was the first for York in four weeks, ending a successful 5-0 road trip over the Christmas holiday.
Records: #13 York 14-0 (7-0 CAC), PSU Harrisburg 5-9 (1-6 CAC)
Final Score: York 88, Harrisburg 78
Field Goals: York 27-for-51, Harrisburg 29-for-60
Field Goal %: York 52.9%, Harrisburg 48.3%
Three Point FG: York 6-for-22, Harrisburg 9-for-26
Three Point FG %: York 27.3%, Harrisburg 34.6%
Free Throws: York 28-for-38, Harrisburg 11-for-17
Free Throw %: York 73.7%, Harrisburg 64.7%
Rebounds: York 27, Harrisburg 35
Assists: York 16, Harrisburg 15
Blocked Shots: York 2, Harrisburg 3
Steals: York 6, Harrisburg 4
How It Happened
• The opening 12 minutes of the game was very back and forth as neither team could establish any control. Those opening 12 minutes featured four ties and six lead changes. The Spartan finally started to build a lead as the Green and White hit the Lions with an 11-2 run that gave them a 33-25 lead with 4:26 left in the first half.
• The York lead eventually grew to 12 on a Jared Wagner free throw with 20 seconds left in the half. Chris Bing converted a jumper with six seconds remaining as the Spartans settled for a 44-34 halftime advantage.
• The Spartans maintained their lead in the early stages of the second half. The Lions would make a charge only to have the Spartans push the lead back up. The York lead vacillated between six and 12 points over the opening eight minutes of the second half.
• Harrisburg put together a prolonged 14-5 run, cutting the Spartan advantage to one at 66-65. Blayde Reich split a pair of free throws on the ensuing possession followed by a Penn State turnover. Lion Trent Thomas was called for a foul on Reich and banged the ball hard off the floor, drawing a technical foul with 6:56 left in the game. Dalton Myers hit the technical free throws and Reich split his two free throws as the Spartan lead was back at five. Those free throws kick started a 9-0 run that pushed York's lead back to 11 with 5:05 left in the game.
• York built the lead to a game-high 15 points with 4:09 left. The Lions would get no closer than 11 the rest of the way as the Green and White earned their record-tying 14th win.
Dalton Myers: 25 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 7-for-11 FG, 10-for-11 FT
Jared Wagner: 17 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 8-for-10 FT
Jason Bady: 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 2 steals
Matt Scamuffo: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist
Blayde Reich: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists
PSU Harrisburg Leaders
Kahlil Williams: 17 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 7-for-7 FG, 3-for-4 FT
Brandon Coleman: 15 points, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Chris Bing: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 4-for-5 FG, 2-for-2 FT
Gbolahan Alliyu: 13 rebounds, 4 points, 4 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
The Spartans lead the all-time series 9-5 but as conference opponents York holds a slight 5-4 advantage … this is the first time in the nine game series history as conference opponents that the home team won the game … previously, Harrisburg was 4-0 at Charles Wolf Gymnasium while the Spartans are 4-0 in Middletown … the 14 game win streak is tied with the 2004-05 squad that won 14 straight from January 26, 2005 through March 12, 2005 … York is now 10-0 when leading at the half … York is now 5-0 at Wolf Gymnasium … York shot 52.9% for the game and that's the sixth time this year they have been over 50% in a game … York only made six three pointers, their second lowest total of the year (4 vs. Frostburg State on December 6) … York converted 28 free throws and that's the eighth time they have been over 20 makes in a game including the last four games in a row … York lost the battle on the glass 35-27 and that's their biggest deficit of the season … York has been outrebounded in just five games … York's 11 turnovers ties their season low (11 at Dickinson on December 19) … York held a 40-32 edge in points in the paint while Harrisburg had a 20-6 bulge in second chance points … the Harrisburg bench outscored York 29-13 … Senior Dalton Myers continues to climb the career scoring chart as he now has 1,273 points, just one point back of John Ely (1998-2002) for 13th place … fellow senior Matt Scamuffo is also moving up the scoring leaders as he sits in 16th place with 1,188 points, 20 points back of Julian Watson (2008-09, 10-13) in 15th place … Myers now has seven games this year in which he has scored 20 points or more … Myers has been in double figures in 13 of his 14 games this year and has led York in scoring in five games … sophomore Jared Wagner's 17 points is his ninth game in double figures this year and is one point short of tying his season high (18 at Dickinson and at Salisbury) and two short of his career high (at CNU on February 17, 2017) … Wagner had five assists and that's the seventh time this year he has had five or more assists in a game … Wagner is currently second in the league in assists after leading the conference as a freshman … junior Jason Bady notched his seventh double figures scoring effort of the year with 13 points … Bady has reached double figures in four of his last five games … York placed five players in double figures for the second time this year … York has now had 11 games in which a Spartan has scored 20 points or more.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday afternoon as they host the defending Capital Athletic Conference Christopher Newport Captains in a key conference contest. Tip time at Wolf Gymnasium is set for 3:00 pm.