DOVER, DEL. – The York College men's basketball team used a huge run to start the second half to earn a 97-79 road win at Wesley College to open Capital Athletic Conference play on Wednesday night in Dover, Delaware. The trip to Wentworth Gymnasium will be the last regular season trip to Dover as Capital Athletic Conference foes as Wesley is departing the CAC for a yet unnamed league.
Senior Blayde Reich paced the Spartans with a career-high 30 points in the win for the Green and White.
Game #4 – 2017-18 Capital Athletic Conference Opener
Records: York 4-0 (1-0 CAC), Wesley 1-3 (1-1 CAC)
Final Score: York 97, Wesley 79
Field Goals: York 33-for-60, Wesley 29-for-62
Field Goal %: York 55.0%, Wesley 46.8%
Three Point FG: York 8-for-27, Wesley 6-for-14
Three Point FG %: York 29.6%, Wesley 42.9%
Free Throws: York 23-for-30, Wesley 15-for-22
Free Throw %: York 76.7%, Wesley 68.2%
Rebounds: York 38, Wesley 30
Assists: York 25, Wesley 15
Blocked Shots: York 5, Wesley 1
Steals: York 7, Wesley 9
How It Happened
• Senior Blayde Reich was a one man wrecking crew early in the game as he single-handedly kept the Green and White in the game in the opening six minutes of the game. The senior scored 16 of York's first 19 points, with the other three coming from fellow senior Dalton Myers, as the Spartans trailed 23-19 just over eight minutes into the game. Reich did it just about every way possible as he had two layups, two dunks, two three-pointers and one jumper en route to his red hot start.
• The Wolverines, who had not played in eight days, were hot early as they surged to a 35-28 lead on a Brian Cameron three pointer with 7:56 left in the first. Reich cut the lead back to four but the Wolverines pushed it back up to seven at 38-31. York slowly started to chip away at the Wolverine lead before their finally took the lead back on a Jason Bady lay up with 1:45 left in the half. Bady then ended the half with a pair of free throws as York took a 47-44 lead to the break. It was the first time this year that the Spartans didn't score at least 50 points in the first half.
• After allowing the Wolverines to shoot 57.6% (19-for-33) from the floor in the first half, the Spartans ratcheted up their defensive effort and locked the Wolverines down early. That defensive effort kick started the Spartan offense as they began the second half with a 12-1 run, turning their three-point halftime lead into a 14-point margin. York kept pouring it on as they pushed the lead to 20 (73-53) on a Darin Gordon three pointer with 11:36 left in the game.
• York maintained the lead between 15 and 20 points before Derick Charles converted a three-point play with 6:15 left to cut York's lead to 12 at 79-67. Myers answered with a lay up and followed with a pair of free throws after getting fouled on an offensive rebound to push York's lead back to 16.
• The Wolverines made one last push, cutting York's lead to 13 but Jared Wagner plunged the dagger into the Wolverines with top of the key three to put York up 91-75 with 3:03 left in the game. Wagner would then go 5-of-6 from the line over the final 1:33 to salt away the win for York.
Blayde Reich: 30 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal, 12-for-15 FG, 3-for-6 3PT FG, 3-for-4 FT, 31 minutes
Dalton Myers: 21 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocked shots, 2 steals, 8-for-10 FG, 1-for-3 3PT FG, 4-for-5 FT, 27 minutes
Jared Wagner: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocked shots, 2 steals, 2-for-5 FG, 1-for-3 3PT FG, 9-for-10 FT, 22 minutes
Jason Bady: 13 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 27 minutes
Darin Gordon: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3-for-6 FG, 2-for-3 3PT FG, 3-for-5 FT, 27 minutes
Evan Anderson: 19 points, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 assist, 7-for-12 FG, 4-for-6 3PT FG, 1-for-2 FT, 38 minutes
Brian Cameron: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 6-for-11 FG, 1-for-3 3PT FG, 4-for-6 FT, 40 minutes
JW Lawson: 15 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists, 6-for-13 FG, 3-for-5 FT, 33 minutes
Paul Clemons: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 5-for-11 FG, 2-for-3 FT, 33 minutes
The Spartans haven won three straight against the Wolverines including two straight at Wentworth Gymnasium … York now holds a 15-13 edge in the all-time series against Wesley … Blayde Reich set or tied a number of career highs in the game with his 30 points, tied his high career-high with 12 field goals, and tied his three pointers made in a game (3) … Reich has scored 58 points in his last two games against Wesley as he had set a previous career high of 28 points in the CAC First Round Tournament win over Wesley on February 21, 2017 … Reich now has two performances of 28 points or more this season … senior Dalton Myers recorded his second career double-double with 21 points and a career-high 11 boards in the win … the 21 points for Myers marks the second time he has had 20 points or more in his four games this season … Myers now has 1,078 points as he passed Bob Klingseisen for 21st place and teammate Matt Scamuffo for 20th with as Scamuffo now has 1,076 points with his six points in the game … for the first time this year, York put five players in double figures in the win … for the first time this year, the Spartans failed to reach double figures in three pointers made as they had made 11, 11, and 13 in their three previous games … the Spartans finished with 25 assists on 33 field goals … York now has at least 24 assists in three of their four games this season … York converted a season-high 23 free throws in the win … The Spartans held a commanding 50-32 edge in points in the paint while they also had an 18-15 margin in points off turnovers … York blocked five shots and have had at least four blocked shots in every game for the year … York's 50 second-half points were a season-high … York's 55% shooting from the field was a new season high for the Green and White … York is now 3-0 when outrebounding their opponents … York has had at least one 20-plus point performer in each of their four games.
The Spartans return home to start a quick two-game CAC home stand with a conference test against Mary Washington on Saturday afternoon. Tip time at Wolf Gymnasium is set for 3:00 pm. York then returns home next Wednesday night as they host Frostburg State University in an 8:00 pm tip.