EMMITSBURG, MD – The York College men's basketball squad put up a good fight against Division I Mount St. Mary's on Tuesday night but dropped a 91-80 exhibition loss to the Mountaineers at Knott Arena in Emmitsburg, Maryland.
By the quirk in the rules of the NCAA, the game counted for the Mountaineers while the game was an exhibition for the Green and White.
Records: York 2-0, Mount St. Mary's 2-3
Final Score: York 80, Mount St. Mary's 91
Field Goals: York 26-for-66, Mount St. Mary's 25-for-55
Field Goal %: York 39.4%, Mount St. Mary's 45.5%
Three Point FG: York 9-for-29, Mount St. Mary's 15-for-33
Three Point FG %: York 31%, Mount St. Mary's 45.5%
Free Throws: York 19-for-26, Mount St. Mary's 26-for-30
Free Throw %: York 68.4%, Mount St. Mary's 86.7%
Rebounds: York 37, Mount St. Mary's 39
Assists: York 12, Mount St. Mary's 15
Blocked Shots: York 2, Mount St. Mary's 3
Steals: York 7, Mount St. Mary's 5
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a frigid start to the night as they went 0-for-7 from three to start the game. Fortunately for York, the Mountaineers weren't much better as they lead just 6-0 over three minutes into the game. The Mount slowly built the lead to 20-9 on a Donald Carey three pointer as it looked like the Mount might run the Spartans out of the gym. However, much like they have done in the last few years, the Green and White battled back and kept themselves within striking distance. York went on a 9-0 run, capped by a Jason Bady three pointer, to cut their deficit to 20-18 with 7:01 left in the half.
• The Mount's Antonio Jonah hit a lay up on the ensuing possession and Greg Alexander followed with a three pointer on the next possession and just like that, the Mount was back up seven at 25-18. York cut the lead to four at 28-24, but then Jonah hit a big three, putting the Mount up 34-24 with 2:57 left in the half. The Spartans ended the half on a 6-2 run as they cut their halftime deficit to 36-30 heading to the break.
• York could not have been colder from the floor in the opening 20 minutes of play as York was just 11-for-39 (28.2%) from the floor and a mere 2-for-17 (11.8%) from beyond the arc.
• The second half proved to be far more fruitful on the offensive end for both teams. The tempo picked up as did the fouls as York was in the bonus just over six minutes into the half and the Mountaineers followed not too much later.
• The Mount continued to maintain their lead early in the second half as every time York made a move, the Mountaineers were able to answer. The Mount pushed the lead to 15 (58-43) with 12:19 left in the half. York scored five straight but Mount St. Mary's scored nine straight points in three minutes to push the lead to a game-high 19 points (67-48) with 8:47 left in the game.
• York worked their deficit down to 11 with 6:05 left as the Mount's leading scorer, Junior Robinson, sat on the bench in foul trouble. Antonio answered with another big three, pushing the lead to 14 with over five minutes left in the game.
• The Spartans cut their deficit to eight on a Jared Wagner three pointer with 2:39 left but that would be as close as York got the rest of the way as the Mountaineers would walk away with an 11-point win.
Jared Wagner: 23 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot, 9-for-16 FG, 3-for-5 3 PT FG
Jason Bady: 14 points, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 6-for-13 FG, 2-for-5 3PT FG
Dalton Myers: 14 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 4-for-9 FG, 6-for-6 FT
Matt Scamuffo: 10 points, 1 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Mount St. Mary's Leaders
Junior Robinson: 27 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 7-for-17 FG, 3-for-10 3PT FG, 10-for-10 FT
Jonah Antonio: 23 points, 10 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal, 7-for-13 FG, 6-for-9 3PT FG
Greg Alexander: 15 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4-for-7 3PT FG
Donald Carey: 11 points, 12 assists, 1 rebound, 3-for-6 FG, 2-for-5 3PT FG, 3-for-4 FT
The Mountaineers improved to 2-3 with the win while the Spartans remain 2-0 heading into Sunday's home opener … the teams were far more offensive in the second half as York scored 50 points while Mount St. Mary's tallied 55 points … York shot 55.6% (15-for-27) in the second half from the floor including 7-of-12 (58.3%) from distance in the second stanza … Mount St. Mary's converted 54.2% from the floor in the second half while they also made 7-of-13 from distance and 22-of-26 from the free throw line … sophomore guard Jared Wagner tallied a would-be career high 23 points as he scored 21 second half points as he was 8-for-8 from the floor and 3-for-3 from three in his 17 minutes of play in the second half … York outscored the Mountaineers 32-18 in the paint … The Mount turned the 13 Spartan turnovers into 23 points while York converted the 16 Mount turnovers into 17 points … York held a 12-7 advantage in second chance points … the Mount St. Mary's bench outscored York 25-11 … prior to the game, Mount St. Mary's honored their 2016-17 NEC championship team … the Mount earned the NEC NCAA berth and went 1-1 in the NCAA tournament with a win over New Orleans and a loss to top seeded Villanova.
The Spartans make their 2017-18 home debut on Sunday afternoon as they welcome Gettysburg College to Wolf Gymnasium to face the Spartans in a 3:00 pm tip off. The Spartans and Bullets will be meeting for the 27th time in program history. Both teams have won 13 games with York having won the last two meetings with the Bullets.