YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team had one of the best nights of the season on Tuesday night as York earned a 102-91 victory over Wesley College in the opening round of the Capital Athletic Conference tournament in York. The Spartans advance to the CAC semifinals on Thursday in Salisbury. The night also saw junior Matt Scamuffo join the 1,000 career point club in the victory.
York (Pa.): 17-9 (Third Seed)
Wesley: 10-16 (Sixth Seed)
FG Shooting (%): York 37-for-62 (59.7%), Wesley 33-for-71 (46.5%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 14-for-31 (45.2%), Wesley 8-for-18 (44.4%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 14-for-24 (58.3%), Wesley 17-for-20 (85%)
Rebounding: York 27, Wesley 43
Assists: York 24, Wesley 18
Turnovers: York 12, Wesley 18
Blocked Shots: York 8, Wesley 2
Steals: York 7, Wesley 7
• The game was played a frantic pace from the opening tip. The two teams took turns landing haymakers as the game was tied at 13 just under six minutes into the game. The Spartans took a short-lived 16-15 on a Brad Wesner three pointer with 12:52 left in the first half. The Wolverines then ripped off a 9-2 run to take a 24-18 lead midway through the half.
• The Spartans eventually tied the game at 26 but the Wolverines called timeout and then hit York with an 8-0 that pushed their lead to a game-high eight points at 34-26. York responded with a 13-0 run of their own highlighted by back-to-back threes by Darin Gordon and followed by a Jared Wagner lay up as York pushed out to a 39-34 lead.
• In a half of flows and runs, the Wolverines scored seven of the next nine points to forge a 41-41 tie, the seventh tie of the game. Matt Scamuffo split a pair of free throws with 38 seconds left to put York up one. Tyrone Craven hit a pair of free throws just three seconds later after he rebounded Scamuffo's free throw miss, giving the Wolverines a 43-42 lead. York's Darin Gordon hit a driving lay up with 21 seconds left and was fouled. He went down in a heap on the floor as it appeared that he suffered an injury. Zack Galic converted the free throw and York took a 45-43 lead to the break. Fortunately for York, Gordon would be ok and would come back to start the second half for York.
• Wesley came out of the half and smacked the Spartans with a 7-0 spurt to push out to a 50-45 lead a mere 1:!4 into the second half. York then embarked on a prolonged 24-5 run, turning the five-point deficit into a 14 point (69-55) lead. The run covered six and half minutes and was highlighted by Galic drilling a pair of threes and a pair of lay ups while Scamuffo also drained two threes.
• The Spartans led 75-64 with 10:03 left in the game. The Wolverines ripped off a 10-1 run, cutting York's lead to 76-74 with 6:58 left in regulation. Scamuffo then hit a historic three from the left wing as he reached 1,000 career points with the triple. That three pushed the lead to five as York tried to pull away.
• Wesley drew to within four (85-81) on a Brian Cameron triple with just under five minutes left in the game. York answered with a 10-2 run capped with a Wagner three pointer as the lead grew to 95-83.
• Wesley cut the lead to eight with 1:23 left but York went 5-for-6 from the line over the final 1:05 of the game to salt away the victory. Gordon made a pair of free throws to push York over 100 points.
Blayde Reich: 28 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocked shots, 1 steal, 12-for-15 from the floor
Matt Scamuffo: 16 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal
Zack Galic: 15 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 6-for-8 from the floor
Darin Gordon: 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Jared Wagner: 14 points, 7 assists, 1 steal
Brad Wesner: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
Paul Clemons: 29 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot, 12-for-18 from the floor, 5-for-5 from the FT line
Evan Anderson: 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot
Brian Cameron: 13 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
George Cook: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
The Spartans improve to 14-13 all-time against the Wolverines … junior Matt Scamuffo became the Spartans' 23rd member of the 1,000 career point club with his three pointer from the left wing with 6:33 remaining in the second half … Scamuffo is the second Spartan to reach 1,000 career points this year as Dalton Myers reached 1,000 points in the December 14 game against Wesley … February 21 has been a historic day for the Spartans as February 21, 2006 marked the last time the Spartans swept a home CAC playoff doubleheader as the men bounced Goucher 89-68 while the women downed Salisbury 69-60 … the Spartans' 102 points marks the highest offensive output for the Spartans in a CAC contest, eclipsing the 100 point York scored against Marymount on February 21, 2002 … York is now 13-4 when leading at the half … York's 57 second half points eclipsed the previous season high of 52 points which York scored just six days ago against Frostburg State … York had a season-high 24 assists, besting the previous high of 23 that came against Wesley in Dover … the Spartans shot a season-best 59.7% from the floor and it's the fourth time the Green and White have shot better than 50% from the floor in a game … the Spartans tied a season high with 14 three pointers, matching their performance against Southern Virginia on January 7 but their percentage was a tick better as York was 14-for-32 in the SVU game while they went 14-for-31 in tonight's game … in a statistical anomaly, York shot 59.7% from the field and scored 102 points but went just 14-for-24 (58.3%) from the stripe … it's the second time this year that the Spartans shot a higher percentage from the field than from the line … York has been outrebounded by 38 caroms in their last two games as the Wolverines held a 43-27 edge on the glass … junior Blayde Reich had a career night as the forward poured in 28 points, grabbed five rebounds, blocked a career-high five shots, had five assists, and also had a steal in his 34 minutes of action … Reich was 12-for-15 from the floor including 1-for-1 from three and 3-for-3 from the line … freshman Darin Gordon tallied a career-high 14 points including a career-high three three pointers … junior Zack Galic tied his career high with a pair of three pointers made as he drilled back-to-back triples during York's key second half run … freshman Jared Wagner had seven assists and zero turnovers in his 30 minutes of action ... York placed a season-high six players in double figures in the win.
The Spartans head south to face the second seeded Salisbury University Sea Gulls in the CAC semifinals on Thursday. Tip time at the Maggs Center is set for 7:00 pm. The winner of the game advances to Saturday's CAC championship game at the highest remaining seed. The Spartans and Sea Gulls split their two games during the year with the home team being victorious in both games.
Matt Scamuffo photo courtesy of Shane Guise - Athletic Communications Student Photographer