ARLINGTON, VA – The York College freshman guard Jared Wagner converted a three-point play with 8.5 seconds left to lift the Spartans to a dramatic 62-61 win at Marymount University on Saturday afternoon in Arlington, VA. The win snaps an eight game losing streak to the Saints and also locks up the third seed in the upcoming Capital Athletic Conference tournament.
York (Pa.): 15-8, 11-5 CAC
Marymount (Va.): 10-13, 7-9 CAC
FG Shooting (%): York 23-for-51 (45.1%), MU 21-for-52 (40.4%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 6-for-15 (40.0%), MU 6-for-20 (30.0%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 10-for-15 (66.7%), MU 13-for-23 (56.5%)
Rebounding: York 26, MU 40
Assists: York 10, MU 8
Turnovers: York 18, MU 23
Blocked Shots: York 2, MU 2
Steals: York 10, MU 10
• The Green and White got off to another fantastic start as they sprinted out to an 8-0 lead on the power of a Matt Scamuffo lay up followed by three-pointers from Jared Wagner and Darin Gordon. The lead grew to 10 at 17-7 on a Gordon three-pointer with 13:59 left in the first half.
• The Saints fashioned a prolonged 16-5 run that turned their 10-point deficit into a one-point lead with 5:55 left in the half. Marymount pushed the lead to five but York ended the half on a 12-4 run as the Spartans took a 35-32 lead to the half. Sophomore Jason Bady converted a traditional three-point play with 10 seconds left in the half to give York the halftime advantage.
• York came out of the break and increased their lead to six at 41-35 just over two minutes into the half. The Saints ripped off a 16-3 spurt to turn York's three-point lead into a 51-44 advantage for the hosts as it looked like they were poised to blow the game wide open.
• The Marymount lead vacillated between three and nine points over the next 10 minutes of the game. Marymount had a game-high nine-point lead at 61-52 with 5:04 left in the game.
• The Spartans began their began their comeback with a Bady lay up with 4:47 left in regulation. Blayde Reich then cut the Marymount lead to five with a bucket with 3:51 left. The noose got a little tighter when Wagner split a pair of free throws with 3:23 left as the Spartans trailed 61-57. Reich continued the run with a jumper with 1:41 left, trimming York's deficit to two.
• While the Spartan offense continued to chip away, the York defense locked down the Saints as Marymount did not score over the final 5:03 of the game.
• Wagner got the eventual game-winner when Gordon got a defensive rebound, pitched it ahead to Mike Frauenheim who chucked it to Wagner. Wagner attacked the basket as Josh Giardina tried to slip in front of him to draw the charge. Wagner floated the ball off the glass and the ball bounced around before falling through the net as Giardina was whistled for the foul. Wagner converted the free throw for the winning point with 8.5 seconds left.
• Marymount called timeout with 4.5 seconds left to draw up a play. Michael Anderson drove to the lane and threw up an out-of-control shot but York was called for a foul with 1.2 seconds left. Anderson missed both free throw attempts and the ball was tipped out to the perimeter where a desperation shot dropped clearly after the horn as the Spartans snapped their losing streak to the Saints.
Blayde Reich: 24 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocked shots, 1 steal, 10-for-16 from the floor
Jared Wagner: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals
Matt Scamuffo: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
Darin Gordon: 8 points, 3 rebounds
Michael Anderson: 12 points, 1 rebound, 3 steals
Dimitri Rucker: 9 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 blocked shot, 1 assist
Ibrahim Kamara: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist
The Spartans and Saints are now tied at 32 in the all-time series … the win snaps an eight game losing streak to the Saints … the win in Arlington was the first in five games since their last win at the Verizon Center on January 21, 2012 … that was the season the Spartans captured the CAC tournament championship … York is now 10-3 when leading at the half … the Spartans shot 52% from the floor in the second half and just 38% (10-for-26) in the second half … York is now 12-3 when holding their opponent to below 45% shooting from the field … York is 14-3 when getting at least thee double figure scorers … junior Blayde Reich tied his career-high with 24 points, matching his performance on January 21 at Mary Washington … Reich has reached double figures in five straight games and now has four 20-plus point games this year … freshman Jared Wagner is now 22-for-28 from the free throw line in the final four minutes of games this year … the Spartans had their three game streak of double digit three pointers made was snapped on Saturday as York went 6-for-15 from three … the 15 three-point attempts was their second lowest total of the year (14 vs. St. Vincent on Nov. 18 and vs. Franklin & Marshall on Nov. 19) … the Spartans got out-rebounded by 14 caroms, their third largest deficit of the year (21 vs. F&M and 18 against PSU Harrisburg) … the win locks up the third seed for the CAC Tournament as they will host a first round game on Tuesday, February 21 vs. the tournament's sixth seed … the Spartans will be making their first tournament appearance since the 2012-13 season … York's 15 wins are the most since 2011-12 when they went 18-11 … the Spartans went 2-1 on their three game road trip with the loss coming to nationally ranked Salisbury.
The Spartans finally head back to Wolf Gymnasium as they will end the season with two straight home games. York hosts Frostburg State on Wednesday evening at Wolf Gym. Tip time is scheduled for 8:00 pm. The Spartans then close out the regular season next Saturday when they host nationally ranked Christopher Newport at 3:00 pm.