DOVER, DEL – The York College men's basketball team received a career night from senior Brad Wesner as the Spartans rolled past Wesley College 89-69 in Capital Athletic Conference play on Wednesday night in Dover, Delaware. Wesner poured in a career-high 25 points in a mere 16 minutes as the Spartans secured a playoff spot in the upcoming CAC Tournament.
York (Pa.): 14-8, 10-5 CAC
Wesley: 9-13, 7-8 CAC
FG Shooting (%): York 34-for-64 (52.1%), Wesley 23-for-56 (41.1%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 12-for-29 (41.1%), Wesley 5-for-14 (35.7%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 9-for-16 (56.3%), Wesley 18-for-29 (62.1%)
Rebounding: York 38, Wesley 36
Assists: York 23, Wesley 19
Turnovers: York 21, Wesley 24
Blocked Shots: York 7, Wesley 2
Steals: York 14, Wesley 10
• The Wolverines got off to a quick start in the game as they led the Spartans 20-12 just under seven minutes into the game. That eight-point lead would be the largest of the night for the Wolverines.
• York started their climb back when Brad Wesner cashed out a three with 12:40 left in the first half. That triple kick started a 9-2 run that cut the York deficit to just one at 22-21. The Wolverines answered and quickly pushed the lead back to seven (34-27) with 5:45 left in the half.
• Junior Matt Scamuffo hit a pair of free throws with 4:29 left in the period and those two makes from the stripe started an 18-6 run that covered the remainder of the half. The run was fueled by a three pointer from Mike Frauenheim, two triples from Scamuffo and five points from Blayde Reich as the Spartans took a 45-40 lead to the break.
• York scored the first five points of the second half as Frauenheim drilled a three and Jared Wagner hit a lay up to give York a 50-40 lead. Wesley trimmed the lead to six twice with the second time coming on a Brian Cameron jumper (54-48) with 15:16 left in the game.
• The Spartans answered with a quick 7-0 run as Wesner hit a three at the 13-minute mark to start the spurt as the York lead grew to 13 at 63-50.
• Wesley made one final push as they cut the Spartan lead to seven at 65-58 with 8:09 remaining in the half. The Spartans ended the run and, essentially the game, with a massive 18-1 run that turned a seven-point lead into a 24-point bulge. The lead would remain in the 20's the rest of the way.
Brad Wesner: 25 points, 2 blocked shots, 1 assist, 1 steal, 9-for-12 from the floor, 7-for-9 from three, 16 minutes played
Matt Scamuffo: 12 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Darin Gordon: 11 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot
Blayde Reich: 11 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Zack Galic: 12 rebounds, 4 points, 2 assists, 15 minutes played
Jared Wagner: 8 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocked shots, 4 steals
Evan Anderson: 19 points, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot
JW Lawson: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Paul Clemons: 8 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals
The Spartans are now 13-13 all-time against Wesley as York snaps a two-game losing streak to the Wolverines … the win snaps a three game losing streak at Wentworth Gymnasium … York's last win in Dover came on December 8, 2012 when York notched a 77-69 win … Brad Wesner notched a career-high 25 points as he was 9-for-12 from the floor and 7-for-9 from three point land … Wesner bested his prior career-high by seven points (18 vs. Salisbury on Jan. 14, 2017) … Wesner also tied his career-high with two blocked shots … Wesner's seven three pointers bested his previous career-high of six threes … his seven threes are tied for second on the single-game list, two back of the school record of nine … three other Spartans have made seven three pointers in a game including all-time leading scorer Andy O'Brien (@ Gallaudet – 12/4/2002), Brandon Bushey (@ Mary Washington 12/5/2003), and Matt Scamuffo (@ St. Mary's 1/18/2017) … all seven of York's individual top three point field goals made games have come on the road … junior Zack Galic pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds in a mere 15 mintues of play … Galic pulled down 10 defensive rebounds in the win … freshman Darin Gordon recorded a career-high with 11 points as he was 4-for-8 from the floor and 3-for-5 from the line in his 22 minutes of action … Mike Frauenheim tied his career-high with a trio of makes from three point land while he also dished out five assists … freshman Jared Wagner continues to stuff the stat sheet as he had eight points, six rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and four steals in the win …the four steals ties a career-high which he has done eight times this year … Wagner now leads the team with 47 steals in 22 games … Matt Scamuffo now has 937 points as he continues to climb towards 1,000 career points … Scamuffo converted a pair of threes as he now has 153 career triples … York's 21 turnoves tied a season high, a mark they had against Messiah (11/22/16) and Johns Hopkins (12/29/16) … the Spartans won all three of the games in which they committed the 21 miscues … York has made 37 three pointers in their last three games … the Spartans are shooting 41.6% (37-for-89) from three over the last three games … York is averaging 80.6 points per game over their last three games … while York is lighting it up from three, the Spartans have struggled from the stripe as they are 23-for-45 (51.1%) in their last three games … the Spartans forced 24 Wesley turnovers, the second highest total for a York opponent this year (27 vs. PSU Harrisburg) … York blocked seven shots in the win, their second highest total of the year … The Spartans have blocked 19 shots in their last three games … York improves to 7-5 on the road … York is now 10-3 when leading at the half … York is now 7-0 when outrebounding their opponents … the Spartans got good news on Tuesday as they were awarded a conference win for their game at Mary Washington as the Eagles used an ineligible player in the game … the game remains a loss in the Spartans overall record but they are credited with a conference win as they are now 10-5 in the league ... the win locks up York's first CAC Tournament berth in three years ... the Spartans are now in search of securing a first round tournament home game as they currently hold a three game lead over Wesley and Marymount for third place.
The Spartans close out their 2016-17 regular season road schedule on Saturday when they travel to Marymount University for a huge Capital Athletic Conference contest in Arlington. Tip time in Virginia is set for 4:00 pm.