Winters Named CAC Men's Basketball Co-Player of the Week
York senior guard LEVI WINTERS (Manchester, Pa./Northeastern) and Gallaudet junior guard JON MOWL (Fishers, Ind./Indiana School for the Deaf) were named the Capital Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Co-Players of the Week for Feb. 4, 2008.
Winters averaged 21.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, hit 65% from the field and helped extend York’s winning streak to five games and move the Spartans into sole possession of first place with Saturday’s six-point decision at Mary Washington. After a 17- point performance in a 10-point decision over Villa Julie, Winters bounced back with 26 scores, including a 9-for-12 shooting performance, and four assists at UMW.
Mowl scored 85 points (28.3 avg.) and burried 18 three-point goals in three road games in leading the Bison to wins at Christendom and Wesley, the team’s first back-to-back wins of the season, before losing a double-overtime heartbreaker at Hood. Mowl scorched the nets for 10 long-range shots (one shy of the CAC record) and 44 total points, both Gallaudet records (originally set in 1991), in Saturday’s setback at Hood.
The following athletes were also nominated for
Athlete of the Week honors, and are honorable mention
* Ryan Junghans (Derwood, Md./Magruder) - Hood
* Brandon Altmann (Vienna, Va./Madison) - Mary Washington
* Mike Smelkinson (Elkridge, Md./Long Reach) - St. Mary’s
* Greg Woody (Baltimore, Md./Mt. St. Joe) - Villa Julie
* Rashawn Johnson (Selbyville, Del./Sussex Tech) - Wesley
Past CAC Men’s Basketball Athletes of the
* 11/19 - Tyson Lesesne - St. Mary’s
* 11/26 - Jesse Gutekunst - Hood
* 12/3 - Mike Gray - Marymount
* 12/10 - Rashawn Johnson - Wesley and Jesse Gutekunst - Hood
* 12/17 - Matt Hale - Mary Washington
* 1/7 - Chad McGowan - York
* 1/15 - Ryan Junghans - Hood
* 1/21 - Greg Palmer - Salisbury and Tyson Lesesne - St. Mary’s
* 1/28 - Chad McGowan - York