YORK, PA – The York College field hockey squad capped an outstanding weekend with a 3-2 non-conference win over Washington (Md.) College on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in York. The Spartans recorded back-to-back one goal wins on the weekend as they downed Albright 1-0 on Saturday.
Final Score: York 3 – Washington 0
Records: York 3-3, Washington 0-6
Shots: York 15, Washington 9
Shots on Goal: York 11, Washington 5
Penalty Corners: York 13, Washington 6
How It Happened:
• The Spartans owned the offensive momentum early as they spent much of the opening seven minutes camped in the Washington defensive third. York had four penalty corners during that period but the Shorewomen kept York off the board. Before the Spartans could blink, Washington hit a counter to get on the board. The Shorewomen carried the ball in transition down the right sideline. Clare Ingersoll fed a pass into the circle and Kailyn Brandt one-timed the shot for the 1-0 lead in the 11th minute.
• York got the equalizer as freshman Emily Shilling found her self in the right place at the right time as forced a Washington turnover in front of the cage. Shilling took the ball and flipped in a nifty backhanded shot for her first collegiate goal.
• York added to the lead in the 17th minute on the Spartans' seventh penalty corner of the day. Julea Truskey hit a ball to the top of the circle and junior Meghan Heary finished the chance for her second goal of the year.
• Washington responded with back-to-back shots on goal in a 40 second sequence but Spartan goalie Sam Keating stopped both chances. The Spartans would be satisfied to take the 2-1 lead to the break.
• The Shorewomen notched the equalizer a mere 59 seconds into the second half as Brandt dribbled down the field and ripped an absolute rocket for the game-tying goal.
• York got the eventual game-winning goal in the 40th minute as Greta Plappert drew a penalty stroke on a Washington foul. Plappert converted the chance as she fired the shot past Washington goalie Morgan Domanico for the goal.
• The Shorewomen recovered and pressured the Spartan defensive unit. Brandt hit another frozen rope in the 65th minute but Keating notched the stop for the big save.
• York put together an offensive flurry late, trying to put the game away but Domanico recorded a trio of saves to keep the one goal deficit.
• The Spartans killed off the final two minutes of the game as they kept possession along the sideline and the Shorewomen never got a chance to get off a tying shot.
Greta Plappert: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Emily Shilling: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Meghan Heary: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Julea Truskey: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Lindsay Nye: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Kailyn Brandt: 2 goals, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
Clare Ingersoll: 1 assist
Nicole Schroyer: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Sam Keating (YCP): 70 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 3-3)
Morgan Domanico (WC): 70 minutes played, 3 goals against, 8 saves (Loss, 0-6)
The game was the first meeting ever between the two programs … the last four York games have all be decided by one goal … Washington (Md.) fell to 0-6 with the loss but three of their losses including both on their weekend trip, have come by one goal … York had a season-high 13 penalty corners in the win … York has had 33 corners in the last three games after having just nine in their first three games … the Spartans scored four goals in their two weekend game with all four goals coming from different players … York now has four players with two goals each to lead the team while Amanda Boclair also has four points with a goal and two assists … York has seven players with one goal each.
The Spartans returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Elizabethtown for a non-conference contest. The match is set for a 4:30 pm start in Elizabethtown.