YORK, PA – The York College field hockey team posted their fifth straight win with a 4-0 shutout of Bridgewater College in a non-conference match on Wednesday evening from York. It was the Spartans first game as a ranked team in over 16 years as the Green and White broke into the NFHCA Top 20 on Monday.
Records: York 10-2, Bridgewater 4-9
Shots: York 17, Bridgewater 4
Shots on Goal: York 12, Bridgewater 3
Penalty Corners: York 14, Bridgewater 0
Saves: York 3, Bridgewater 8
How It Happened
• The Spartans jumped on the Eagles early as York earned a penalty corner four minutes into the game. Beth Patrick inserted the pass to Ali Posey who ripped a one-time shot past Bridgewater goalie Emily Witzke for the 1-0 lead just 4:08 into the game.
• York would have a few other chances in the opening 35 minutes of play but Witzke played well and kept the Eagles' deficit at 1-0 heading to the break. York outshot Bridgewater 7-2 in the opening half of play.
• The Spartans didn't take long to add on to the lead early in the second half. This time, Patrick slid a pass from the left wing across the front of the goal where Autumn Mallory put home the pass for her Capital Athletic Conference leading 15th goal of the year. The goal came just 6:12 into the second stanza.
• York made it 3-0 just 2:53 later as Greta Plappert took the ball, dribbled along the left end line and slipped a shot between the left post and Witzke for her 13th goal of the year.
• York closed out the scoring in the 52nd minute as Dana Meehling collected a loose ball in the circle and poked home a shot for her seventh goal of the year and the 4-0 Spartan lead.
• Ali Posey: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Beth Patrick: 2 assists, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
• Greta Plappert: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
• Autumn Mallory: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
• Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Jacqueline DiFulvio: 1 shot on goal
• Isabel Lopez: 1 defensive save
• Emily Matisons: 1 shot on goal
• Laura Gretz: 1 shot on goal
Eve Hauptle (YCP): 70:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 10-2)
Emily Witzke (BC): 70:00 minutes played, 4 goals against, 7 saves (Loss, 2-1)
This is the first meeting between Bridgewater and York on the field hockey pitch since September 14, 1991 when the Eagles earned the 1-0 win … the victory for the Spartans ties the all-time series at 1-1 … senior Ali Posey has moved into sole possession of second place on the Spartans' all-time scoring list as she now has 117 career points on 49 goals and 19 assists … Spartan Hall of Famer Jaclyn Russell owns the school record in points with 136 … Posey is also second in career goals as April McFarland holds that school record with 53 goals … Posey's goal tonight was her 12th career game-winning goal which leaves her all alone in fourth place all time … senior Autumn Mallory continues to lead the Capital Athletic Conference in points (32) and goals (15) while sophomore teammate Greta Plappert is second in both categories with 28 points and 13 goals … Spartan goalie Eve Hauptle earned her third shutout of the year with three saves in her 70 minutes of work … York has outscored their last five opponents 25-3 during their five game win streak … York has outscored their six home opponents 32-4 at Kinsley Field … York now has four shutouts for the year including two straight … York's 14 penalty corners marked the fourth straight games with double digits in penalty corners … York continues to lead the CAC in goals (54), goals per game (4.5), and assists (26).
The Spartans continue their season-high five game home stand on Saturday with a key Capital Athletic Conference contest against the University of Mary Washington. The game is slated for a 1:00 pm start at Kinsley Field.