YORK, PA – York College sophomore forward Greta Plappert erupted for four goals as the Spartans bounced the Stevenson University Mustangs 8-1 in non-conference action in York on Wednesday evening. The Spartans remain unbeaten at home as they begin a season-high five game home stand with the win.
Records: York 8-2, Stevenson 5-5
Shots: York 31, Stevenson 5
Shots on Goal: York 23, Stevenson 4
Penalty Corners: York 11, Stevenson 5
Saves: York 3, Stevenson 3
How It Happened
• The Mustangs got on the board first as they scored just 6:45 into the game. Marissa Hoffman collected a pass on a penalty corner. Hoffman settled the ball and slid a pass to Noel Martin who finished the ball in the circle for the 1-0 Stevenson lead. The goal was Martin's seventh tally of the year.
• The Spartans responded by applying heavy pressure to the Mustang defense. Stevenson goalie Maia Harper was up to the task as she continued to turn the Spartans away. York finally got on the board 11:16 left in the first half as Autumn Mallory scored off a pass from fellow senior Ali Posey, knotting the score at one.
• Freshman Dana Meehling made it 2-1 just 1:07 later as she drove home a shot for her sixth goal of the year.
• The Spartan offensive barrage continued as Mallory threw a pass towards the cage that Greta Plappert tipped in the pass just beyond the reach of Harper for the 3-1 Spartan lead with just 2:53 remaining in the half.
• Plappert struck again just 17 seconds later as she stole a pass, dribbled into the circle and finished off the shot for the 4-0 Spartan lead with 2:36 left in the opening stanza.
• The Spartan offense kept pushing forward as senior Beth Patrick took a loose ball outside the circle, dribbled in and unleashed a rocket inside the left post for the first goal of the season half as the York lead grew to 5-1. Patrick's goal came just 3:17 into the second half.
• Plappert notched her third goal of the night 6:29 into the second half off a pass from Lindsay Nye, extending the York lead to 6-1.
• Plappert capped her career night with an unassisted goal 2:03 later, pushing the Spartan lead to 7-1.
• Posey closed out the scoring with a lob shot with 24:20 left in the game, providing York with their final 8-1 margin of victory.
• Greta Plappert: 4 goals, 7 shots, 6 shots on goal
• Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 6 shots, 5 shots on goal
• Ali Posey: 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Autumn Mallory: 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 shots on goal
• Beth Patrick: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
• Lindsay Nye: 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
• Noel Martin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
• Marissa Hoffman: 1 assist
• Sara McVey: 2 shots on goal
• Tanner Ridgely: 1 shot on goal
Eve Hauptle (YCP): 45:15 minutes played, 1 goal against, 2 saves (Win, 8-2)
Sam Keating (YCP): 24:15 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save
Maia Harper (SU) 41:30 minutes played, 6 goals against, 10 saves (Loss, 2-2)
Kelsey Eure (SU): 18:55 minutes played, 2 goals, 2 saves
Hope Nyarady (SU): 9:35 minutes played, 0 goals, 3 saves
The Spartans improve to 21-4 all-time against Stevenson as York has won two straight against the Mustangs … the seven goal margin of victory is the largest in the history of the series, besting the 6-0 Spartans win on September 15, 2005 … sophomore Greta Plappert tallied a career-high four goals in the victory … the four goals and eight points ties her for second on the single-game scoring list … Plappert is tied with April McFarland, Megan Spangler, Allison Rouch and assistant coach Jayme Goldkind for second with eight points while she tied McFarland, Spangler and Goldkind for second in single game goals … York fired off 31 shots for the second consecutive games … York has outscored their last three opponents 16-3 … York improves to 4-0 at Kinsley Field as they have outscored their four opponents 23-4 … Plappert has taken over the CAC lead in goals (12) and points (25) while teammate Autumn Mallory is second with 24 points on 11 goals and two assists … the Spartans are averaging a Capital Athletic Conference best 4.5 goals per game … York has notched three assists in each of their last three games … Mallory is now tied for fourth on the career goal scoring list with 41, tying Sandra Lancaster (1998-2001) … Mallory now has 91 career points as she now sits in sixth after passing Rachel Alderfer (2003-06) … Mallory is three points back of tying Sandee Reich (2009-12) for fifth place on the all-time points list … senior Ali Posey is now one point short of tying April McFarland (2005-08) for second on the all-time scoring list with 115 points … Posey has 114 points on 48 goals and 18 assists in her 68 career games.
The Spartans return to Kinsley Field on Saturday afternoon when they host St. Mary's College in a Capital Athletic Conference contest. Game time is set for 1:00 pm.