BALTIMORE, MD – York College senior field hockey forward Autumn Mallory tallied a natural hat trick in the opening half to lead the Spartans to a 3-1 road win at Johns Hopkins University in a non-conference contest at historic Homewood Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Records: York 6-2, JHU 6-3
Shots: York 9, JHU 12
Shots on Goal: York 5, JHU 4
Penalty Corners: York 5, JHU 1
Saves: York 3, JHU 2
How It Happened:
• The Spartans wasted little time in opening the scoring as Paige Taylor banged tossed a ball towards the goal. Senior Autumn Mallory converted rebound into a goal just 38 seconds into the game, giving the Green and White a 1-0 lead.
• The Spartans pushed the lead to 2-0 in the 15th minute as Lindsay Nye tossed a long outlet to Mallory who finished off the opportunity just inside the right post for her second goal of the game.
• Mallory made it a natural hat trick in the 32nd minute as she scored another goal with another assist from Paige Taylor. Mallory collected the pass from Taylor, spun and fired in a shot from six yards out giving York the 3-0 lead.
• The Blue Jays outshot the Spartans 6-5 in the first half but all five of York's shots were on cage while just one of JHU's six shots were on target. The Spartans held a 4-0 margin in penalty corners in the first half.
• The Spartans appeared to be content to sit on their first half advantage. The Blue Jays got the only goal of the half with 9:51 remaining in the game as Princess Sutherland one timed a Grace Hillman pass into the goal from the wing to get the hosts on the board.
• The Blue Jays held a slight 6-4 margin in second half shots while both teams had a penalty corner.
Autumn Mallory: 3 goals, 3 shots on goal
Paige Taylor: 2 assists
Lindsay Nye: 1 assist, 1 shot
Ali Posey: 1 shot on goal
Blue Jay Leaders
Princess Sutherland: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Grace Hillman: 1 assist, 1 shot
Francesca Cali: 1 shot on goal
Morgan Pothast: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Megan Ophel: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Eve Hauptle (YCP): 70:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Win, 6-2)
Greta Helvie (JHU): 70:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 0-2)
Jodie Baris (JHU): 35:00 minutes played, 0 saves, 0 goals against
The Spartans are now 7-2 against the Blue Jays as they have won four straight in the series … York has scored three or more goals in five of their eight games this year … the Spartans improve to 3-2 on the road in 2017 … the three assists in the game ties a season high for York (3 vs. Elizabethtown on Sept. 20) … Senior Autumn Mallory tallied a hat trick for the third time in her career (@ Mary Washington on Oct. 22, 2014 and @ Eastern Mennonite on Sept. 3, 2016) with all three times coming on the road … junior Paige Taylor set a new career-high with her two assists … York tied a season-low with just five penalty corners in the game … the win in goal for Eve Hauptle is her 28th as a Spartan … Hauptle is fourth in the all-time wins list, seven behind third place goalie Claire Rekitzke.
York concludes their three-game road trip on Sunday, October 1 when the Spartans head to Dover, Delaware to face Wesley College to open Capital Athletic Conference action. Game time in Dover is set for 12:00 pm.