YORK, PA – The York College baseball team concluded their 2018 regular season with a 10-7 setback against Rutgers-Camden on Wednesday afternoon in York.
The loss ends a regular season that saw the Spartans lose three of their last four games heading into this weekend's Capital Athletic Conference Tournament first round.
Records: York 19-17-1, RCU 25-14
Score: York 7, RCU 10
Hits: York 12, RCU 17
Errors: York 3, RCU 0
Left on Base: York 7, RCU 12
Doubles: York 1, RCU 1
Triples: York 0, RCU 0
Home Runs: York 2, RCU 2
How It Happened
• The Scarlet Raptors got on the board first with a two-run single from Brandon Cornelius to give Rutgers-Camden a 2-0 lead. Cornelius then stole third and scored on an error as the Camden led grew to 3-0.
• York got on the board in the fourth as freshman Jack Barry blasted a very long solo home run to right center. The Raptors got that run right back in the top of the fifth with a Chris Jones solo home run to left center on a ball that never got more than 25 feet off the ground.
• York loaded the bases in the bottom of the fourth and Grant Oberholtzer drove in two with a rocket down the third base line as York cut the lead to 4-3. York reloaded the bases and then Devin Chapman scored on a wild pitch, tying the game at four. Barry lifted a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Barry with the go-ahead run.
• That lead proved to be short lived as the Raptors plated five runs in the top of the fifth. Cornelius stroked a two-run homer to left to give Camden a 6-5 lead. Jones singled to right and Matt Yanick then drilled a two-run homer to left on a 2-2 pitch, pushing the lead to 8-5. Matthew Stoots singled, stole second and scored on a Mike Paciocco RBI single to left. The Raptors added an unearned run in the eighth to push the lead to 10-5.
• Barry drove in the final two runs of the day as he hit an opposite field two run rifle shot over the wall in left center for his second home run of the game and team-leading eighth of the year.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2 HR
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Zach Hossler: 2-for-5, 2B
Seth Brosius: 2-for-5
Devin Chapman: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Scarlet Raptors Offensive Leaders
Brandon Cornelius: 4-for-4, 2 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2B, HR, 2 SB
Matt Yanick: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR, SB
Mike Paciocco: 3-for-4, SB
Nolan Gerold: 3-for-5, 1 run scored, sB
Chris Jones: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, HR
Brandon Haggerty: 3.0 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 5 K
Alex Myers: 1.2 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 5 BB, 1 K
Colin Bowling: 1.1 IP, 6 hits, 5 earned runs, 1 BB (Loss, 0-1)
Jake Herr: 3.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 unearned run, 1 BB, 1 K
Mike Calabrese: 2.2 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, 1 K
Nick Kulikowski: 1.1 IP, 2 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 K
Joseph Sponheimer: 1.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 1 BB, 0 K (Win, 1-0)
Peter Han: 3.1 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 4 K (Save, 1)
The Spartans are now 7-9 all-time against Rutgers-Camden all-time … the Spartans allowed a season-high eight stolen bases in the game … York is now 4-9-1 when allowing double figures in runs in a game … York enters the CAC tournament on Friday with an all-time record of 34-37 in the tournament … York has not won a CAC tournament title since 1999, the longest drought in Spartan baseball history … freshman Jack Barry now has a team-leading eight home runs and 48 RBI … Barry has also drawn a team-high 23 walks …. York has now committed 70 errors in 37 games which has led to 69 unearned runs for the season.
The Spartans head to Salisbury University to participate in the first weekend of the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Tournament. The Spartans are the sixth seed and will face off against fourth seeded Frostburg State in the 9:00 am game on Friday. The Spartans will then face Salisbury in either the second game or third game on Friday depending on the game one result. The winner of the three team Salisbury pod will play the winner of the Christopher Newport pod next weekend at the highest remaining seed for the CAC championship series.