COVINGTON, VA – The York College baseball squad dropped a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader against Southern Virginia on Friday in Covington, Virginia. Southern Virginia won game one 11-10 with a three-run ninth inning. They completed the sweep with a 6-3 win in the nightcap. The Spartans have now lost five straight including a pair of CAC doubleheaders.
Records: York 8-11-1 (1-4 CAC), Southern Virginia 12-12 (4-5 CAC)
Score: York 10, SVU 11
Hits: York 12, SVU 18
Errors: York 1, SVU 2
Left on Base: York 10, SVU 6
Doubles: York 1, SVU 5
Triples: York 0, SVU 1
Home Runs: York 1, SVU 1
How It Happened
• The Knights got on the board with a run in the bottom of the first inning as Stetson Key homered to left with one out. York wasted little time in responded with a five spot in the top of the second. Zach Hossler ripped a two run single to center. Seth Brosius then doubled to right to score Bailey Doan who had walked earlier in the inning. Christian Bilan then scored Hossler and Brosius with a two-run single to center as York led 5-1.
• The Knights answered back with a single run in the bottom of the second and two more runs in the bottom of the third as York led 5-4 after three innings of play.
• York got a sacrifice fly from Collin Crowell in the top of the fifth, pushing York's lead to 6-4. SVU seized the lead with a three-spot in the bottom of the fifth. The uprising consisted of a Cole Critchfield RBI single to right, a double steal of home and second and a Jonathan Soto RBI single to right.
• York retook the the lead with two runs in the top of the seventh on a wild pitch and a Doan RBI single. The Knights tied the game in the bottom of the seventh on a Spartan error.
• The Spartans got back on top in the ninth as Doan blasted a two-run homer to left, giving York a 10-8 lead. Much like it has been this year for York, the ninth inning proved to be trouble for the Green and White. After Critchfield got hit by a pitch, Bridger Taylor doubled to center, scoring Critchfield. The Spartans got the next two outs but Ryan Saunders doubled to right to win the game for the Knights.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Bailey Doan: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, HR
Zach Hossler: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Christian Bilan: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Knights Offensive Leaders
Stetson Kay: 4-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
Canon Anderson: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored
Cole Critchfield: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Bridger Taylor: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Jonathan Soto: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
Joel Kenney: 5.2 IP, 12 hits, 7 earned runs, 1 BB, 2 K
Jeff Noss: 3.0 IP, 6 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 K (Loss, 0-1)
Seth Burris: 4.0 IP, 7 hits, 6 earned runs, 3 BB, 4 K
Tanner Black: 1.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 BB, 1 K
Justin Davis: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB
Matt Roll: 2.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K (Win, 1-0)
Score: York 3, SVU 6
Hits: York 7, SVU 11
Errors: York 2, SVU 0
Left on Base: York 6, SVU 7
Doubles: York 1, SVU 1
Triples: York 0, SVU 0
Home Runs: York 1, SVU 2
How It Happened
• Junior centerfielder Grant Oberholtzer put the Spartans up early as he launched a home run to left in the first at-bat of the game, giving York a 1-0 lead. Cole Critchfield tied the game with a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the first inning, scoring Caleb Layden who had singled to open the SVU half of the first.
• The Knights took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the third on a Canon Anderson solo shot to right.
• Southern Virginia broke the game open in the bottom of the seventh with a four run frame. Ryan Saunders pushed the Knights' lead to 4-1 with a two run home run in the inning. Critchfield then doubled in Anderson for SVU's fifth run. Jonathan Soto then stroked an RBI single to center to cap the scoring in the inning as the Knights lead stood at 6-1.
• York tried to rally in the ninth inning. Seth Brosius doubled to center to open the frame. Christian Bilan then singled him in. Bilan eventually scored on a Patrick Clement sacrifice fly but the Knights would get out of the frame without any more damage as York suffered its second straight CAC doubleheader sweep.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Christian Bilan: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI
Collin Crowell: 2-for-4
Seth Brosius: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Knight Offensive Leaders
Cole Critchfield: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Caleb Layden: 2-for-5, 1 run scroed
Canon Anderson: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, HR
Ryan Saunders: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR
Will Grega: 6.1 IP, 8 hits, 4 earned runs, 1 BB, 2 K (Loss, 2-3)
Ben Demchak: 1.2 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 2 K
Tayler Peterson: 8.0 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 6 K (Win, 4-1)
Jonathan Hodges: 1.0 IP, 1 hits, 1 BB (Save, 2)
The Spartans are now 8-3 all-time against the Knights.
The Spartans return to action on Sunday when they host Wesley College in Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader at Jaquet Field. First pitch for game one is set for 12:00 pm.