YORK, PA – The York College Spartan baseball squad opened their home schedule with a 5-1 setback at the hands of the Franklin & Marshall Diplomats on a cold and overcast Tuesday afternoon at Jaquet Field.
The Spartans have now lost three straight as the offense has struggled. York has now scored just five runs in their last 27 innings.
Records: York 3-4, F&M 1-1-1
Score: York 1, F&M 5
Hits: York 4, F&M 13
Errors: York 1, F&M 0
Left on Base: York 4, F&M 10
How It Happened
• The Diplomats got on the board in the top of the first as Kengo Kawahara opened the game with a walk after falling behind in the count. He moved to second on a wild pitch and to third on a ground out to first. Matthew Kann singled to left to score Kawahara for the 1-0 Diplomat lead.
• F&M pushed the lead to 3-0 in the fourth after Danny Blugis got hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. After a fly out and ground out, Blugis scored as J.J. Freeman banged a single off the glove of a diving Collin Crowell at short. After Freeman stole second, Dan Marano singled to center to score Freeman with the Diplomats third run.
• The Diplomats added to the lead in the sixth as Kawahara singled up the middle with one out. He came around to score when Freeman ripped a two-run shot over the 16 foot wall in right, giving F&M the 5-0 lead.
• York got on the board in the bottom of the sixth as Grant Oberholtzer doubled to deep right to lead off the inning. Zach Hossler then had a fantastic at bat as he fell behind 0-2 before working a walk to put runners at first and second. Seth Brosius lined a double to right and Oberholtzer came around to score but Hossler slipped going back to third and was thrown out scampering back to third. The Spartans would be able to do any more damage in the inning.
• Diplomat reliever Andrew Mascis was outstanding as he threw the final 3.1 innings, shuting the Spartans down with five strikeouts. Mascis finished the game by retiring all 10 Spartans he faced.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Seth Brosius: 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 2B
Collin Crowell: 1-for-2, BB
Zach Hossler: 1-for-3, BB
Diplomat Offensive Leaders
J.J. Freeman: 3-for-5, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, SB
Kengo Kawahara: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, BB
Matthew Kann: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, BB
Kelsey Launi: 3-for-5
Dan Marano: 1-for-5, RBI
Andrew Ross: 3.2 IP, 6 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 K, 2 BB (Loss, 1-1)
Jeff Noss: 5.1 IP, 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 4 K, 0 BB
Jack Buckley: 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 6 K, 2 BB (Win, 1-0)
Andrew Mascis: 3.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 5 K, 0 BB (Save, 1)
The Spartans struck out a season-high 11 times in the game … York is 11-for-88 (.125) at the plate in their last three games … starter Andrew Ross was able to manage a bunch of traffic all game long as he threw over 100 pitches in his 3.1 innings of work as he allowed three earned runs … reliever Jeff Noss threw 5.1 innings, just 0.1 innings short of tying his career high … the Spartans have committed six errors in their last three games and have at least one error in six of their seven games this year … York has allowed 23 runs on 41 hits during their three game losing skid.
The Spartans are scheduled to head to Baltimore on Thursday to face off against Johns Hopkins in a non-conference contest. First pitch from Babb Field at Stromberg Stadium is set for 3:00 pm.