HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA. – The Hampden-Sydney Tigers jumped on the York College baseball team for six runs in the first three innings as the Tigers cruised to an 11-4 win on Saturday morning in the first game of the Hampden-Sydney Classic. The loss snaps York's three game win streak.
Records: York 3-1, Hampden-Sydney 4-1
Score: York 4, HSC 11
Hits: York 5, HSC 14
Errors: York 3, HSC 1
Left on Base: York 7, HSC 13
How It Happened
• The Tigers took the lead in the bottom of the first as Matthew Spagnolo drilled an RBI triple to score the first run of the game. Devin Daugherty scored Spagnolo with a sacrifice fly to center as Hampden-Sydney took the 2-0 lead.
• The Tigers plated three runs in the bottom of the second with two outs as a Spartan error helped extend the inning. Jacob Bartlett had an RBI single while Spagnolo had another run scoring hit.
• The Spartan defense gave the Tigers another run in the third as the Hampden-Sydney lead grew to 6-0 through three innings of play.
• Hampden-Sydney tacked on another run in the fifth before the Spartans broke into the scoring column in the top of the seventh thanks to a Luke Knott sacrifice fly.
• The Tigers answered back with two runs in the bottom of the seventh.
• York scored two more in the eighth and one in the ninth but it wouldn't be nearly enough as the Tigers scored two in the bottom of the seventh and two more in the bottom of the eighth to provide for the final 11-4 score.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Seth Brosius; 2-for-4, 1 run scored,
Devin Chapman: 1-for-3, RBI, 1 run scored
Rob Aceirno: 1-for-4, RBI, 2B
Tiger Offensive Leaders
Blake Hartman: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Matthew Spagnolo: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 3B
Austin Spivak: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored
Sam Feliciano: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 RBI
Jacob Bartlett: 1-for-2, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, BB
Joel Kenney: 2.1 IP, 7 hits, 6 runs, 3 earned runs, 1 K (Loss, 0-2)
Colin Bowling: 2.2 IP, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 1 BB
Conor Miller: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 BB
John Szwajkowski: 1.0 IP, 2 earned runs, 2 BB
Jake Herr: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 1 K
Jimmy Butler: 6.1 IP, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 4 K, 3 BB (Win, 2-0)
Trent Jacobs: 0.2 IP, 1 BB
Wyatt Brock: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K
Bradford Webb: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 1 run
York concludes their spring trip on Sunday when they face Denison in the second round of the HSC Classic. First pitch is set for 11:00 am in Hampden-Sydney, Virginia.