MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – Zach Hossler drove in four runs on three hits as the York College baseball team defeated Manchester College 8-6 in Myrtle Beach, S.C. as part of the Spartans' Spring Break trip. Bobby Kuehn earned the win on the mound, allowing three runs on six hits in five-and-two-thirds innings pitched, and Zac Stoll cleaned it up for his second save of the season.
Records: York 3-1, Manchester 0-1
Score: York 8, Manchester 6
Hits: York 9, Manchester 8
Errors: York 2, Manchester 0
Left on Base: York 12, Manchester 7
How it Happened
• Bobby Kuehn quickly disposed of the opposing hitters in the top of the first inning, allowing just one hit. The Spartans hitters jumped all over Manchester in the bottom of the first, when Grant Oberholtzer doubled to left field as the leadoff man. He scored when Zach Hossler singled up the middle, his first of four RBI on the day. Hossler moved to third on a single from Rob Acierno, but the Spartans couldn't manage another run.
• Kuehn took care of the top of the second, mowing down the first two batters before forcing a fly out as part of a one-two-three inning. Again, the Spartan bats broke loose. Collin Crowell led off the inning with a bunt single, and then stole second. Jack Barry earned a walk, placing two runners on with no outs. Jake Snyder was next and grounded out, but moved Crowell and Barry over a base. Oberholtzer walked to load the bases for Hossler. The senior ripped a double to right center, clearing the bases, and opening the Spartan lead to 4-0. Before the inning ended, Hossler stole third, proving to be vital, because he scored on a passed ball.
• Kuehn stayed strong in the third and fourth innings, allowing just one combined hit. Manchester, though, managed three doubles in the top of the fifth inning, scoring three runs. He did get out of the inning, but Manchester closed within 5-3. York answered, however, in the bottom half. Luke Knott walked and then advanced to second when Devin Chapman moved him on a sacrifice bunt. Then, with two outs, Barry singled to right center, scoring Knott, keeping Manchester at bay.
• York extended the advantage once again, this time in the bottom of the seventh, when Oberholtzer doubled, driving in Barry and Snyder, after they reached first on a base on balls and a hit by pitch, respectively.
• Manchester closed again in the top of the eighth inning, scoring three runs on two hits and an error, making it 8-6. But, Zac Stoll entered in the ninth and maneuvered his way through the heart of the Manchester lineup, earning his second save of the season.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Zach Hossler: 3-for-5, 4 RBI, run scored, 2B, SB
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 2B, BB
Jack Barry: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored, RBI, 2 BB
Manchester Offensive Leaders
Joe Gallatin: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
Braxton Riley: 1-for-4, RBI, run scored, BB
Quinton Ramsey: 1-for-1, 2 RBI
Bobby Kuehn: 5.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 5 K, BB (W, 1-0)
Tim Halasnik: 2.1 innings pitched, 2 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, BB, K
Zac Stoll: 1.0 inning pitched, BB (Save, 2)
Taylor Kopplin: 6.0 innings pitched, 8 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned runs, 6 BB, 7K (L, 0-1)
Garrett Phelps: 2.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 4 BB, K
York finished their Spring Break trip in Myrtle Beach, S.C. at 3-1 … Zach Hossler drove in a career-high four RBI … Hossler is now hitting .412 with six RBI … Grant Oberholtzer hit two doubles, a career high and tied for the 12th-most in school history … Jack Barry followed his career-high three-hit performance with a career-high two runs scored and two walk … Barry is hitting .400 … Rob Acierno earned two walks, a career high … Devin Chapman is one of three Spartans off to a hot start, hitting over .300 at .364.
York travels to Hampden-Sydney, Va. to take on the Tigers on Saturday. First pitch is slated for 11 a.m. Then, on Sunday, the Spartans will play Denison as part of the Hampden-Sydney Classic.