MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The York College baseball team picked up their first win of the year on Tuesday afternoon as they downed Johnson & Wales 11-2 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
The Spartans scored four in the third and five more in the eighth to blow the game open.
Records: York 1-1 / Johnson & Wales 1-1
Final Score: York 11 – Johnson & Wales 2
Hits: York 10 / JWC 4
Errors: York 1 / JWC 1
Left on Base: York 9 / JWC 6
How It Happened
• The Spartans opened the scoring in the second as Rob Acierno scored on a fielder's choice after opening the inning with a double.
• York made it 5-0 in the third with a four run uprising. Luke Knott had an RBI single to start the scoring in the frame. Collin Crowell then plated a pair of runs with a two-run single to left. Crowell scampered home on a double steal to close out the scoring in the inning.
• The Spartans pushed the lead to 6-0 on a Seth Brosius sacrifice fly in the fourth.
• The Wildcats trimmed the Spartan lead to 6-2 in the fourth. Aiden Hagarty had an RBI single while Tim Lombardi had an RBI ground out to plate the second run.
• The Spartans blew the game open in the eighth with a five run inning. Acierno had a two run single while Devin Chapman had a two run double. Crowell closed out the scoring with an RBI double.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Collin Crowell: 2-for-3, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Rob Acierno: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B
Devin Chapman: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Luke Knott: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored, RBI, BB
Johnson & Wales Offensive Leaders
Aiden Hagarty: 1-for-3, RBI
Adam Diehl: 1-for-4, run scored
Edison Mercado: 1-for-4, run scored
Tim Lombardi: 0-for-1, RBI
Will Grega: 6.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 6 K, 1 BB (Win, 1-0)
Ben Demchak: 3.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 3 BB, 1 K (Save, 1)
Johnson & Wales Pitching
James Smiegocki: 4.1 IP, 7 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned runs, 3 K, 2 BB (Loss, 0-1)
Kyle Cutler: 3.0 IP, 0 hits, 1 earned run, 5 K, 1 BB
Ryan Depatie: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 3 earned runs, 2 BB
Kevin Manning: 0.1 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run
Josh Mousseau: 1.0 IP, 2 K
The Spartans and Wildcats split their spring trip series for the second year in a row … junior Will Grega made his fourth career start a memorable one as he tossed six innings, allowing one earned run on four hits with six strikeouts and one walk … Grega made three starts as a freshman but spent his sophomore year pitching out of the bullpen … Grega is now slotted as the Spartans' second starter … reliever Ben Demchak tied his career high with three innings of work to earn the save … Demchak did not allow a hit in his three inning outing … senior Collin Crowell had four RBI as he now has 50 RBI for his career.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday morning when they face off against John Jay in game three of their four game Myrtle Beach trip. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm.