YORK, PA - The York College baseball club dropped a 7-6 result on Thursday to Susquehanna University on the road in non-conference play. Zach Hossler, Seth Brosius and Patrick Clement all homered for the Spartans in a game that featured six long balls.
York (Pa.): 18-21
Game One Stats
Runs: York 6, Susquehanna 7
Hits: York 11, Susquehanna 10
Errors: York 1, Susquehanna 3
Left on Base: York 11, Susquehanna 8
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Zach Hossler: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR
Christian Bilan: 2-for-5, 2 2B
Seth Brosius: 1-for-5, 2 RBI, run scored, HR
River Hawks Offensive Leaders
Nick Berger: 2-for-4, 4 RBI, run scored, 3B, HR
Dylan Gordon: 2-for-4, BB
Spartan Pitching Leaders
Andrew Ross: 3.2 IP, 7 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 K, BB
Zac Stoll: 4.1 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 K, 2 BB
River Hawks Pitching Leaders
James Panzarino: 2.0 IP, 5 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, K, 2 BB
George Zirkel: 4.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 BB
Jack Kinney: 2.0 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run, K
Liam Conboy: 1.0 IP, K
How It Happened
• Zach Hossler kicked things off for the Spartans with a lead off single. He moved to second when Logan Countryman walked and then scored on a fielder's choice from Christian Bilan. York used just one hit to score in the first inning, taking a 1-0 lead.
• With two outs, Susquehanna responded quickly with a two-run homer by Cory Fallon, taking the lead 2-1 in the bottom of the first.
• It didn't take long for York to regain the lead in the top of the second. With one out, Patrick Clement hit a solo shot to right field, and then with Garrett Southern on base after walking, Hossler went deep for two runs, taking a 4-2 lead. York would get another run in the top of the third when Seth Brosius homered to center field to lead off the inning.
• The home run derby continued in the bottom of the fourth, when the River Hawks put their first two men on base before Nick Berger drilled a long ball to left field, scoring three and tying the game at five. Susquehanna was pressuring to score more with runners on second and third and two outs. Zac Stoll relieved Andrew Ross at that point and was able to force a fly ball, ending the inning at 5-5 without any more damage.
• The Spartans also had second and third with two outs in the top half of the fifth, but couldn't manage any runs. Bilan led the inning off with a double and then Clement got on because of an error.
• Susquehanna blew the game open in the bottom of the seventh with yet another home run, this one from Dylan Jenkins. Later in the inning, Ben Burman doubled and then Berger tripled, taking a 7-5 lead for the River Hawks.
• Collin Crowell doubled to lead off the top of the eighth for the Spartans, he moved to second on a walk and then third on a single from Hossler. With one out, he came home to score on an RBI groundout from Brosius. Still, with two men on, the Green and White couldn't manufacture any more runs. They were unable to score in the ninth, and fell 7-6 to Susquehanna.
After winning three in a row, the Spartans have now lost their last four games … in those games, York has been outscored just 30-19 … York is now 15-2 when out-hitting their opponents, with both losses coming in the last week … the Spartans fall to 4-3 in one-run games … the Green and White scored a run in the first inning, falling to 8-9 in games when they've done that … Zach Hossler has 17 hits in the last seven games, going 17-for-29.
The Spartans will finish the 2017 campaign on the road at New York University on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's game is set to start at 5 p.m. with the season finale beginning at 1 p.m. on Sunday.