CAMDEN, N.J. – The Rutgers-Camden Scarlet Raptors jumped on top of the York College Spartans early and captured a 7-2 non-conference win on Wednesday afternoon in Camden, N.J. The Spartans have now lost three straight after a three game win streak last week.
York (Pa.): 18-20
Runs: York 2 / RUC 7
Hits: York 12 / RUC 12
Errors: York 3 / RUC 0
Left on Base: York 11 / RUC 9
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Zach Hossler: 4-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR
Seth Brosius: 4-for-5
Bryce Stout: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Garrett Southern: 1-for-4
Patrick Clement: 1-for-4
Scarlet Raptor Offensive Leaders:
Tyler Travis: 3-for-4, RBI
Doug Carter: 3-for-4, 3 runs scored
Chris Jones: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI
Jon Theckston: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, 2B, SF
Brandon Cornelius: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI
Bobby Kuehn: 4.2 IP, 11 hits, 7 runs, 4 earned runs, 1 K, 2 BB (Loss, 2-3)
Casey Fitzsimmons: 3.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 K, 1 BB
Scarlet Raptor Pitching
Ian Scheidemann: 7.0 IP, 9 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K, 1 BB (Win, 5-2)
Zach Welsher: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 4 K, 0 BB
How It Happened:
• Camden got off to a quick start as they tallied a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning. A one out walk and a Doug Carter single put runners at the corners. Chris Jones scored Ellin with a ground out but Carter got into a run down and was safe on an error. That allowed the inning to continue and the Raptors would get a Jon Theckston RBI single to score Carter with the second run of the inning.
• The Scarlet Raptors pushed the lead to 4-0 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third. Theckston had a sacrifice fly while Frank Cerami had an RBI single to left.
• York got on the board in the top of the fifth courtesy of a Zach Hossler solo home run to right.
• The Scarlet Raptors put the game away with a three-run bottom of the fifth. Cornelius and Tyler Travis had RBI singles while the other run came on a Spartan error.
• Hossler plated the Spartans' second run as he singled to left to score Bryce Stout who singled to start the inning. Seth Brosius singled to right center to push Hossler to second but the Spartans wouldn't be able to do any more damage in the frame.
• The Spartans loaded the bases in the top of the ninth but York would be unable to get the clutch hit as the Green and White dropped their third straight.
The Scarlet Raptors now own an 8-7 lead in the all-time series as they have won five straight against the Spartans … junior Zach Hossler stroked his second home run of the season as York now has 23 home runs for the year … York has been out-homered 36-23 by their opponents this year … freshman Casey Fitzsimmons had the best outing of his career as he threw 3.1 innings … Fitzsimmons allowed just one hit as he struck out one and walked another … the game started a season-ending four game road trip … York has lost eight of their last 11 games.
York heads to Susquehanna on Thursday afternoon for a non-conference contest. First pitch from Selinsgrove is scheduled for 4:00 pm.