SHENANDOAH, VA – The York College baseball squad dropped a 6-4 decision to top-ranked Shenandoah University on Monday afternoon in Shenandoah, Virginia. The top-ranked Hornets stopped York's win streak at three with the two-run victory.
York (Pa.): 18-18
#1 Shenandoah: 34-6
Runs: York 4 / Shenandoah 6
Hits: York 8 / Shenandoah 12
Errors: York 2 / Shenandoah 2
Left On Base: York 9 / Shenandoah 6
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Logan Countryman: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B, BB
Seth Brosius: 2-for-4, RBI, 2 2B, BB
Christian Bilan: 2-for-5, 1 RBI
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-1, 1 run scored, RBI, 3B
Hornet Offensive Leaders
Nate Loman: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Neil Dutton: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
Dan Cameron: 2-for-3, 1 run scored
Tristan Baker: 2-for-4, RBI
Joel Kenney: 7.0 IP, 10 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 K, 0 BB (Loss, 3-3)
Zac Stoll: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 unearned run, 0 K, 0 BB
Ryan Kinter: 3.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 K, 2 BB (Win, 1-0)
Steve Jones: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 3 K, 1 BB
Nate Loman: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Brian Roden: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 K, 0 BB
Tyler Hott: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K, 0 BB (Save, 7)
How It Happened
• The number one Hornets jumped on Spartan starter Joel Kenney for a pair of runs in the bottom of the first but the uprising was aided by a Spartan error. Neil Dutton had a two-run single to center after the error extended the inning as both Shenandoah runs were unearned.
• Shenandoah made it 3-0 on a Tristan Baker RBI single to short with two outs in the bottom of the second.
• The Hornet lead grew to 4-0 in the bottom of the third as Jake Loew scored Able Arocho with a sacrifice fly.
• York got on the board in the top of the fifth. Collin Crowell drew a one out walk. Logan Countryman then singled to left, moving Crowell to second. Seth Brosius drove a double to right field that scored Crowell and moved Countryman to third. Christian Bilan followed with a single to center, scoring Countryman and putting Spartans at the corners with one out. Shenandoah pitcher Steve Jones got out of the jam with a strikeout and a fly out, stranding two Spartans as York cut their deficit in half.
• Nate Loman pushed the Hornet lead back to three with a RBI single to center in the bottom of the sixth.
• The Spartans put one last rally together in the top of the eighth. Grant Oberholtzer stroked a pinch-hit triple to right center, scoring Zach Hossler with York's third run. Crowell then scored Oberholtzer with an RBI ground out as York cut the Hornet lead to 5-4. Countryman followed Crowell's ground out with a double but the Spartans wouldn't be able to get him home.
• The Hornets got another unearned run in the bottom of the eighth, pushing Shenandoah's lead back to two at 6-4.
• The Spartans went 1-2-3 in the ninth as they suffered the close loss to the number one team in the country.
York is now 3-6 against Shenandoah in the history of the series ... York has lost six straight against the Hornets … junior Joel Kenney got his second consecutive start against a nationally ranked team … Kenny blanked #10 Randolph-Macon last week but dropped today's decision against the Hornets … Grant Oberholtzer's triple was just the third of the year for the Spartans … York had a trio of doubles for the third time in the last four games … York has 13 doubles in the last four games … York had another two errors as they have 13 errors in their last five games … York has allowed 16 runs in their last three games but only 10 of those runs are earned.
The Spartans return to action on Tuesday for their final home game of the 2017 season. York will host Elizabethtown in a non-conference contest on Tuesday at 4:00 pm. The game will be preceded by York's 2017 senior day ceremony. The ceremony will begin at 3:45 at Jaquet Field in York.