READING, PA – The York College baseball team picked up their second straight win with a 12-7 come-from-behind win over Penn State Berks on a beautiful Thursday afternoon in Reading, PA.
York (Pa.): 17-17
Penn State Berks: 14-16
Runs: York 12 / Berks 7
Hits: York 16 / Berks 11
Errors: York 3 / Berks 3
Left on Base: York 8 / Berks 10
York Offensive Leaders
Seth Brosius: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, 2B, HR
Logan Countryman: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B, HR
Zach Hossler: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI, 2B
Rob Acierno: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Garrett Southern: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B, BB
Christian Bilan: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI
Berks Offensive Leaders
Toby Welk: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B, HR
Pearce Harhigh: 2-for-2, 1 run scored
Zach Reis: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR
Cory Fox: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 2 BB
Randy Frankenfield: 1.0 IP, 4 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 K, 2 BB
Andrew Ross: 5.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 8 K, 3 BB (Win, 2-2)
Zac Stoll: 3.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 4 K, 1 BB (Save, 1)
Jon Davis: 4.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs
Ben Wanner: 0.1 IP, 3 hits, 4 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Justin Butler: 1.2 IP, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K 0 BB
Ryan Tenney: 0.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs (Loss, 0-1)
Cody Fidler: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 0 K, 2 BB
Mitch Renninger: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 K
How It Happened:
• Penn State Berks jumped out to an early lead as they hit the Spartans with a three-run first inning. Zach Reis hit a two run homer to right to highlight the Lions' first inning.
• The Lions added two runs in the bottom of the second on a two-run single by Cory Fox as the Spartans were on the short end of the 5-0 score just two innings in.
• The Green and White erupted for four runs in the top of the fifth. Rob Acierno blasted a home run to left field to get the inning started. Zach Hossler then singled, moved to second on a wild pitch then to third on a throwing error by the catcher and then scored on a throwing error by the centerfielder. Garrett Southern drew a walk and then rode home on a Logan Countryman two run homer to left as York took a 6-5 lead.
• Berks tied the game at six in the bottom of the fifth as Austin Madeja had an RBI single for the Lions' sixth run.
• Both teams scored single runs in the sixth inning. Hossler doubled and scored on a two-out single from Southern. The Lions got a home run from Toby Welk as the teams headed to the seventh tied at seven.
• York took the lead for good in the top of the seventh as Brosius blasted a two-run home run to left. Hossler then plated Bilan with a sacrifice fly to push the York lead to 10-7.
• The Spartans closed out the scoring with a pair of runs in the top of the eighth to provide for the final 12-7 margin of victory.
• The Spartan bullpen duo of Andrew Ross and Zac Stoll combined to throw eight innings, allowing two runs on seven hits with 12 strikeouts. Ross threw five innings to get the win while Stoll picked up his first save with three scoreless innings of work.
York is now 2-2 all-time against PSU Berks … the three Spartan pitchers combined to strikeout 14 Lions in the game, a season high for York … the Spartans have registered double digit strikeouts in eight games as they are 6-2 in those games … York is now 15-2 when leading after seven innings and 14-0 when leading after eight innings … York is now 5-1 when scoring 10 or more runs in a game … York is 14-0 when outhitting their opponents … freshman Andrew Ross struck out a career-high eight in the win … York has hit five home runs in the last two games, the second highest two game stretch of the season … York hit six home runs in the doubleheader at Salisbury on April 15.
The Spartans return home on Sunday to face Catholic University in a non-conference contest. First pitch from Jaquet Field is set for 1:30 pm.
Seth Brosius photo courtesy of Greg Myers