YORK, PA – The York College baseball team opened it's nine game final stretch of the season with a 5-0 win over #10 Randolph-Macon College on an overcast Wednesday afternoon in York. Junior Joel Kenney picked up his third win of the year as he threw 6.2 innings of shutout baseball against one of the best offensive clubs in Division III baseball.
#10 Randolph-Macon: 24-11
Runs: York 5 / RMC 0
Hits: York 11 / RMC 7
Errors: York 1 / RMC 1
Left on Base: York 11 / RMC 10
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Christian Bilan: 3-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 2B
Patrick Clement: 2-for-2, 1 run scored, 2 BB
Collin Crowell: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Michael Moore: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, HR, SF
Zach Hossler: 2-for-3, 2B
Yellow Jacket Offensive Leaders
Cole Migliorini: 2-for-3, BB
Jay Patti: 2-for-4
Ryan Duphorn: 1-for-4
Joel Kenney: 6.2 IP, 7 hits, 0 Runs, 3 K, 1 BB (Win, 3-2)
Jeff Noss: 2.1 IP, 0 hits, 1 K, 2 BB (Save, 2)
Yellow Jacket Pitchers
Michael Zubovich: 1.1 IP, 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB (Loss)
Tyler Dunn: 1.2 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 K, 0 BB
Daniel Lachance: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs
Jake Ottinger: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 K, 1 BB
Mike Gallagher: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 K, 1 BB
Cody Thompson: 0.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 K, 0 BB
Jack Maccagnan: 0.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Christian Cok: 0.1 IP, 0 hits, 1 K, 1 BB
Tyler Pecak: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 K
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got started early with a Collin Crowell line drive solo home run to left center on the second pitch of the bottom of the first as York took a quick 1-0 lead. Logan Countryman then drew a walk and would got to third when Christian Bilan stroked a double down the left field line with one out. Michael Moore hit a sacrifice fly to the wall in deep center to score Countryman, giving York a 2-0 lead after one inning of play.
• York added to the lead in the second as Patrick Clement singled off the pitcher to open the frame. Garrett Southern then moved Clement to second with a single to left field. Zach Hossler moved the runners up 90 feet each with a sacrifice bunt. Southern then scored on a wild pitch to give York the 3-0 lead.
• Spartan starter Joel Kenney enjoyed the early support. Kenney was brilliant in his last start against Wesley in the CAC tournament opener but York lost 2-0 as the offense was shut down. The three runs allowed Kenney to go to work as he was outstanding through 6.2 innings of work.
• The Green and White got a pair of huge insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh. After RMC got two outs on three pitches to start the inning, Bilan then doubled down the left field line to get the rally started. Moore then blasted a majestic two-run bomb over the left field wall, giving York a 5-0 cushion.
• Sophomore Jeff Noss picked up the save as he threw 2.1 hitless innings of relief to pick up the save and preserve the shutout.
York is now 4-10-1 all time against the Yellow Jackets … York is 2-1-1 in their last four games against RMC … the Spartans' last win over nationally ranked squad came last season as York defeated #15 Christopher Newport 11-10 in the first game of a March 19, 2016 doubleheader in York … the Spartans picked up at win over #23 Randolph-Macon on May 2, 2015 as York won 7-2 in game two of the doubleheader … junior Joel Kenney has been on an impressive run in his last three starts as he has thrown 21.1 innings, allowing five runs (three earned) on 16 hits with 18 strikeouts and a mere three walks, good for an ERA of 1.28 … Kenney held the Yellow Jackets to six singles in the game … RMC entered the game with a team batting average of .326 and a robust slugging percentage of .409 … RMC entered the game ranked 27th in the country in batting average and 23rd in slugging percentage … Randolph-Macon was held without an extra base hit for the third time all year and also were shutout for the first time all year … Kenney is now 3-2 overall with a team-leading 2.92 ERA as he has struck out 42 and walked just ten in 49.1 innings of work … Christian Bilan is now tied with Seth Brosius for the team lead in doubles as they both have 10 two-baggers … the home runs for Collin Crowell and Michael Moore for the first of the year for both Spartans.
The Spartans head out on the road on Thursday when the travel to Penn State Berks for a non-conference contest. Game time is set for 3:30 pm in Reading, PA.
Joel Kenney photo courtesy of Frankie Krauss - Athletic Communications Student Photographer