ASHLAND, VA – The York College baseball team dropped a 10-6 decision to #11 Randolph-Macon in a non-conference contest on Thursday afternoon in Ashland, Virginia.
#11 Randolph-Macon: 22-7
Runs: York 6 / RMC 10
Hits: York 10 / RMC 15
Errors: York 4 / RMC 2
Left On Base: York 8 / RMC 8
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Patrick Clement: 3-for-4, RBI, 2B
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Michael Moore: 1-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI
Kyle Goudy: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI
Yellow Jacket Offensive Leaders
Cole Migliorini: 3-for-4, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B, HR
Jeff Butler: 2-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B, HR
Rick Spiers: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
Blake Seathoff: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
Stuart Brown: 1-for-5, 3 RBI
Casey Fitzsimmons: 3.1 IP, 9 hits, 7 runs, 4 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB (Loss, 0-1)
Jeff Noss: 1.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 K
Ben Demchak: 2.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K
Zac Stoll: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run
Nic Phelps: 5.0 IP, 7 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 1 K, 1 BB (Win, 2-2)
Tyler Dunn: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 2 K, 1 BB
Mike Gallagher: 1.0 IP, 0 hit, 0 runs
Patrick Solomita: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 1 K, 0 BB
Cullen Moore: 0.2 IP, 1 hit
Christian Cok: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 2 K
How it Happened:
• The Yellow Jackets got two runs in the bottom of the first as Stuart Brown doubled down the right field line to score a pair of unearned runs after a pair of Spartan errors.
• Randolph-Macon got single runs in the second and third innings to push out to a 4-1 lead.
• The Spartans scored a pair of runs in the top of the fourth. Patrick Clement singled in Moore with the inning's first run. Freshman Kyle Goudy plated Zach Hossler with a sacrifice fly as York cut the RMC lead to 4-3.
• The Yellow Jackets responded with a three spot in the bottom of the fourth, pushing their lead to 7-3. Jeff Butler, Cole Migliorini and Brown each had an RBI in the inning.
• Randolph-Macon tacked on two runs in the sixth. Butler blasted a solo homer to lead off the inning. Blake Saathoff added an RBI single to right as the Yellow Jacket lead grew to 9-3.
• Cole Migliorini blasted a solo homer to right in the bottom of the eight for Macon as they closed out the scoring with the round tripper.
The Spartans falls to 3-10-1 all-time against Randolph-Macon … York is 1-1-1 in their last three against the Yellow Jackets … York committed a season-high four errors for the third time this season … York had won the previous two games in which they committed four miscues (vs. Southern Virginia and vs. St. Mary's) … York has committed multiple errors in six of their last nine games and have at least one error in each of their last nine games … freshman Kyle Goudy went 1-for-3 in his first collegiate start … Goudy also had an RBI and a run scored in the game … York has seven everyday players hitting over .300 as the Spartans are hitting .308 as a team … the Spartans closed out their regular season conference slate on Saturday … the Capital Athletic Conference tournament kicks off on Tuesday with first round games.
The Spartans conclude their conference schedule on Saturday with a doubleheader at regular season CAC champions Salisbury University. Game one is set for a 12:00 pm start.
Patrick Clement photo courtesy of Greg Myers