YORK, PA – The York College baseball team secured a berth in the upcoming Capital Athletic Conference tournament with a 9-6 win over Penn State Harrisburg in league action on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon in York. The Spartans are back in the CAC tournament for the first time since York hosted the 2014 conference tournament.
York: 15-2, 10-6 CAC
Penn State Harrisburg: 12-21, 7-9 CAC
Runs: York 9 / PSUH 6
Hits: York 11 / PSUH 8
Errors: York 1 / PSUH 2
Left On Base: York 8 / PSUH 10
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Seth Brosius: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Christian Bilan: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 5 RBI, HR
Logan Countryman: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored, RBI, SF
Lions Offensive Leaders
Ethan Kell: 2-for-5, 4 RBI, 2B
Josh Brubaker: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, RBI
Tyler Aug: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Joel Kenney: 7.0 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 10 K, 1 BB (Win, 2-1)
Will Grega: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 K, 4 BB
Mark Artley: 2.0 IP, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 0 K, 0 BB (Loss, 2-2)
Travis VanHouten: 1.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Nick Domenici: 4.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 runs, 6 K, 2 BB
Brendan Riotto: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 1 K
How it Happened:
• The Lions jumped on the Green and White with a pair of runs in the top of the first. Spartan starter Joel Kenney got the first two out of the innings but a single and an error allowed the Lions the early opportunity. Ethan Kell had a two run double to account for the two unearned Harrisburg runs.
• York wasted little time in answering the Lions. Grant Oberholtzer singled on the first pitch he saw to start the comeback. Logan Countryman followed with a single of his own. Both Spartans moved up 90 feet on a wild pitch. Seth Brosius lashed a single thru the right side to score Oberholtzer with York's first run. Countryman then scored on a wild pitch, tying the game at two. York could have added to the lead but a bases loaded double play ended York's threat.
• York took the lead on an Oberholtzer sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second.
• The Spartans made it 4-2 in the bottom of third as Christian Bilan stroked an RBI single to right. York left the bases loaded in the inning as they had to settle for the two run lead.
• While the Spartan offense was clicking, Kenney was outstanding in shutting down the Lions. The junior right hander was cruising after giving up the two runs in the first inning.
• York broke it open in the fourth as Bilan ripped a three run homer over the left centerfield wall, pushing York's lead to 7-2.
• The Lions nicked Kenney for a single run in the top of the seventh as York's lead stood at 7-3.
• The Spartans got a pair of big insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Brosius plated the first run with an RBI single to right and Bilan drove in York's ninth run with a fielder's choice.
• The Lions plated three runs in the top of the ninth but it wouldn't be enough to overcome York's nine runs. Kell spurred the uprising with a two-run single to right. The ball was a pop up that fell between two Spartans allowing the runs to score.
The Spartans improve to 19-2 all-time against the Lions as York swept the regular season series … junior Christian Bilan had a career-high five RBIs in the win … junior Joel Kenney struck out a career-high 10 breaking his previous high of nine … Kenney's top three strikeout games have all come against Harrisburg … In two games against Harrisburg this year, Kenney has thrown 13.1 innings, allowing 5 runs on 13 hits with 19 strikeouts and three walks … York now sits in third place in the conference with a two-game lead on Wesley, Frostburg, and Marymount for third place … Salisbury is the top seed in the CAC tournament with a record of 15-1 while Christopher Newport sits second with a record of 13-3.
The Spartans head to Randolph Macon on Thursday afternoon to face the Yellow Jackets in a non-conference contest. First pitch from Ashland, Virginia is set for 4:00 pm.