FROSTBURG, MD – The York College Spartans dropped a Capital Athletic Conference road game at Frostburg State on Wednesday afternoon as the Bobcats outslugged the Spartans 10-8 in Frostburg, MD.
York: 12-10, 7-6 CAC
Frostburg State: 14-12, 6-7 CAC
Runs: York 8 / FSU 10
Hits: York 10 / FSU 17
Errors: York 2 / FSU 1
Left On Base: York 7 / FSU 7
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
Seth Brosius: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI
Logan Countryman: 1-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI
Rob Acierno: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Patrick Clement: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 3B
Bobcat Offensive Leaders
Brad Garrant: 4-for-5, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, HR
JT Tipton: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Kyle Burger: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, HR
Matt Bougourd: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Logan Corrigan: 2-for-4, BB
Joel Kenney: 6.0 IP, 16 hits, 10 runs, 8 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB (Loss, 1-1)
Jeff Noss: 1.2 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 K, 2 BB
Will Grega: 0.1 IP, 0 hits
Cody Harman: 6.0 IP, 8 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 4 K, 1 BB (Win, 3-0)
Daniel Richardson: 0.0 IP, 2 hits, 3 earned runs, 0 K, 1 BB
Trenton Eirich: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB
Blake Clift: 2.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 K, 3 BB (Save, 1)
How it Happened:
• The game, much like the first meeting in York in March, was a slugfest from the start. The Spartans got a pair of runs int the top of the first as Seth Brosius had an RBI single followed by a Collin Crowell RBI single. The Spartans left the bases loaded as the final two Spartans were retired with the sacks loaded.
• Frostburg State wasted little time in tying the game as they plated two runs in their half of the first inning. Matt Bougourd and Brad Garrant each had RBI singles in the inning.
• Frostburg hit the Spartans with a four run second inning as they pushed out to a 6-2 lead.
• The Bobcats tacked on a run in the bottom of the third and two more in the bottom of the fourth. Frostburg pushed the lead to 10-2 with a JT Tipton RBI single up the middle in the fifth inning.
• York got a single run back in the top of the sixth as Michael Moore singled up the middle to score Brosius, inching the Spartans closer.
• The Green and White had a big seventh inning as they exploded for five runs, cutting the Bobcat lead to 10-8. Freshman Rob Acierno picked up his first collegiate hit and his first collegiate RBI on his first career double. Logan Countryman had an RBI single to score the second run of the inning. A wild pitch scored York's third run while a passed ball scored Countryman with York's fourth run. The final Spartan run of the inning came on a double play as York trimmed their deficit to two.
• The Bobcats went to the bullpen and Blake Clift breezed through the Spartan line up allowing just two walks (one in the eighth and one in the ninth) to earn his first save of the year.
The Spartans fall to 13-24 against Frostburg State as the Bobcats won both games in the regular season series … the Bobcats won the suspended game from March 8 by a score of 19-15 … York has lost six straight against the Bobcats with their last win coming on April 18 in the CAC Tournament at Jaquet Field in 2014 (5-1 York) … York has now lost three straight and five of their last six as they are now flirting with the .500 mark … Patrick Clement banged out York's third triple of the year and he now has two of the three … The Spartan pitching staff has now allowed 29 runs and 39 hits in two games against the Bobcats.
The Spartans return to Jaquet Field on Saturday to host Mary Washington in what has shaped up as a pivotal Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader as both teams are battling for tournament positioning. The Spartans currently hold a one game lead over Frostburg and Mary Washington for fourth in the conference. The top six teams make the post season tournament. Game one is set for a 12:00 pm start on Saturday. The two games kick off a four game home stand with home games Monday against F&M and Wednesday against PSU Harrisburg.