YORK, PA – The Messiah College Falcons scored two runs in the top of the eighth inning to secure a 7-5 non-conference win at York College on a breezy Tuesday afternoon at Jaquet Field in York.The loss is the second straight at home for the Green and White.
Runs: York 5 / Messiah 7
Hits: York 9 / Messiah 13
Errors: York 3 / Messiah 0
Left On Base: York 6 / Messiah 11
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Patrick Clement: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored
Zach Hossler: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 BB
Christian Bilan: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Logan Countryman: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, 2B
Michael Moore: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2B
Garrett Southern: 1-for-3, RBI, 2B
Falcon Offensive Leaders
Colin Fry: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI, HR
Kyle Wickenheiser: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR, 2 BB
Jimmy Kustra: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Adam Janey: 1-for-5, 2 RBI, 2B
Bobby Kuehn: 2.2 IP, 6 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 K , 0 BB
Andrew Ross: 4.1 IP, 5 hits, 1 earned run, 2 K, 3 BB (Loss, 1-2)
Zac Stoll: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K, 1 BB
Chase Peiffer: 6.0 IP, 8 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 K, 2 BB
Ethan Hess: 3.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 3 K, 1 BB (Win, 2-3)
How it Happened:
• The Falcons opened the scoring in the top of the first as Colin Fry blasted a solo shot to left center with two outs in the inning, putting Messiah up 1-0.
• Messiah made it 3-0 in the top of the second as Jimmy Kustra hit a bloop double down the right field line. Kyle Wickenheiser followed with a home run to center as the guests seized early control of the game.
• York answered back quickly in the bottom of the second. Christian Bilan singled to left and then Michael Moore was hit by a pitch. Logan Countryman jumped all over the first pitch he saw, driving a rocket to the right center gap as Bilan and Moore scored. Countryman then got picked off to slow down the rally. However, Grant Oberholtzer singled to center to kick start the second half of the rally. Patrick Clement singled to center and Oberholtzer alertly took third to put Spartans at the corners. Garrett Southern doubled to right center, plating Oberholtzer to tie the game at three. Collin Crowell lifted a sacrifice fly to center to score Clement as York took the 4-3 lead. Zach Hossler walked to load the bases but he would get picked off on a questionable call to end the inning. The inning could have been bigger if not for the two outs York surrendered on the bases.
• The Falcons recaptured the lead in the top of the third as Ben Wilson and Fry opened the inning with back to back hits to put runners at the corners. After a strikeout, Fry was gunned out trying to steal but that allowed Wilson to trot home with a run. A Spartan error extended the inning as Kyle Schoen singled to center to put Falcons at first and third with two outs. Jimmy Kustra singled to center, scoring the second run of the inning, giving the Falcons a 5-4 lead.
• Hossler tied the game at five on a two-out RBI single to center in the bottom of the fourth inning. That would be the last time York scored in the game.
• The Falcons loaded the bases in the sixth against reliever Andrew Ross but he was able to get a pop out and a fly out to end the threat.
• Messiah loaded the bases again in the seventh but Ross again got out of danger with a fly ball to center to end the inning.
• After getting a good outing from starter Chase Peiffer, the Falcons went to the pen in the seventh as Ethan Hess came into the game. Hess would do to the Spartans exactly what Connor Hall did for Marymount in Sunday's second game against the Saints. Hess allowed just two base runners over the final three innings as he surrendered a Bilan single in the seventh and walked Hossler in the ninth.
• While Hess was handcuffing the Spartan offense, the Falcons plated the winning runs in the top of the eighth. Dan Wiederrecht was hit by a pitch to open up the inning. After a flyout to center, Wiederrecht moved to third when reliever Zac Stoll threw a wild pick off attempt at first. Stoll walked Fry to put runners at the corners. Adam Janey, who was 0-for-4 on the day, ripped a double to right field, scoring Wiederrecht and Fry to give the Falcons the two run lead. Stoll got out of the inning but the damage was done.
The Spartans improve to 40-18 all-time against Messiah … York is 1-5 in their last six games … York has scored just five runs in each of their last three games … After the March 25 12-run outburst against Wesley, the Spartans are averaging 4.3 runs per game over that eight game stretch … York has committed eight errors in the last three games … catcher Garrett Southern tied his season high as he nailed two attempted base stealers in the game … senior Michael Moore smacked his team-leading ninth double of the year in the game … Moore also got hit by a pitch as he has now been plunked six times this season … junior Christian Bilan has quietly raised his average to .342 as he has at least one hit in 14 of his last 15 games including five multi-hit games … Bilan is tied with Collin Crowell for the team lead in hits with 27 … York failed to score in the final six innings of Sunday's loss against Marymount and then went scoreless in the final five frames on Tuesday.
The Spartans head to Frostburg State for a non-traditional doubleheader. The Spartans and Bobcats will finish up the March 8 suspended game in York. The Bobcats lead that game 17-13 in the middle of the eighth inning. That game will begin at 2:45 pm and will be followed by the regularly scheduled Capital Athletic Conference contest.
Patrick Clement photo courtesy of Greg Myers