MIDDLETOWN, PA – Junior left fielder Patrick Clement blasted a solo home run to deep right field in the top of the ninth to give the Spartans a 4-3 Capital Athletic Conference victory at Penn State Harrisburg in Middletown, PA on Thursday afternoon.
York: 11-5, 6-1 CAC
Penn St. Harrisburg: 7-15, 3-5 CAC
Runs: York 4 / Harrisburg 3
Hits: York 8 / Harrisburg 8
Errors: York 0 / Harrisburg 0
Left On Base: York 5 / Harrisburg 10
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Patrick Clement: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Michael Moore: 1-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored
Zach Hossler: 1-for-4, 2B
Lion Offensive Leaders
Josh Brubaker: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Tom Denniston: 2-for-5, RBI
Ethan Kell: 1-for-5, 1 run scored, 2B
Joel Kenney: 6.1 IP, 2 earned runs, 9 K, 2 BB
Jeff Noss: 1.2 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K, 1 BB (Win, 1-1)
Ben Demchak: 1.0 IP, 0 runs, 1 K, 1 BB (Save, 1)
Travis VanHouten: 6.1 IP, 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 6 K, 1 BB
Brendan Riotto: 2.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K, 0 BB (Loss, 2-5)
How it Happened:
• After three and a half innings of scoreless baseball, the Lions reached Spartan starter Joel Kenney for a run. Ethan Kell doubled with one out and came around to score on a Josh Brubaker single to give Harrisburg the 1-0 lead. Zach Koroneos singled to move Brubaker to third. Kenney struck out the next hitter but then issued a walk to load the bases. Kenney got a strike out to end the threat and limit the damage to just one run.
• York tied the game in the top of the fifth as Grant Oberholtzer continued his torrid play with a home run to left, knotting the game at one.
• The Green and White pushed out in front in the top of the seventh. Christian Bilan walked with one out. Bilan came around to score when Michael Moore doubled to give York a 2-1 lead. Moore moved to third on a wild pitch. Logan Countryman followed with a single but Moore had to hold at third base. Oberholtzer then singled to plate Moore with York's third run of the game.
• The Lions cut into the Spartan lead in the bottom of the seventh as Tom Denniston had an RBI single to plate Justin O'Dell. After a wild pitch moved Denniston to second, reliever Jeff Noss got a strike out and a fly out to end the threat.
• The Lions tied the game at three when Brubaker homered to lead off the bottom of the eighth. Noss got out of the inning without any further damage, setting the stage for Clement's heroics.
• Clement's blast came with two outs in the top of the ninth and gave York their second straight last at-bat win. It was a monster shot that cleared the right field wall with plenty of room to spare.
• Ben Demchak came on to close it out in the bottom of the ninth. He allowed a lead off walk but worked out of it to earn his first save of the year.
The Spartans improve to 18-2 all-time against Harrisburg … York has won their last two games with last at-bat victories … Wednesday, the Spartans got a Grant Oberholtzer walk off winner … York has now won three games with last at-bat victories … the two home runs are a season high for York as the Spartans had two total home runs in their previous 15 games … junior Joel Kenney tied his career-high with nine strikeouts … his previous career high came in the March 5, 2016 match up with the Lions … Kenney didn't get the decision but he lowered his ERA to 2.21 for the season as he has now thrown 20.1 innings … Kenney has struck out 21 and walked six in his time on the mound … Oberholtzer is 9-for-18 in his last four games with five RBI, three runs scored and a home run … Oberholtzer leads the team in hitting at .393 with 14 RBI and 11 runs scored … the Spartans continue their grueling six games in five days stretch with a day off Friday followed by a doubleheader at CNU and a home twin bill against Marymount on Sunday.
The Spartans continue their road trip with a trek to Newport News, Virginia to face the Christopher Newport Captains in a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch from Captains' Field is set for 12:00 pm.