STEVENSON, MD - The York College baseball squad won their fourth straight with a 9-6 win over Stevenson University on a pleasant Tuesday afternoon at Sugar Field in Stevenson, Maryland.
York (Pa.): 8-3
Runs: York 9, STE 6
Hits: York 10, STE 11
Errors: York 0, STE 2
Left on Base: York 14, STE 9
Spartans Offensive Leaders
Devin Chapman: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, HBP, SB
Christian Bilan: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI
Zach Hossler: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, SB
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, SB
Garrett Southern: 2-for-3, 1 run scored
Mustang Offensive Leaders
Matthew Kerber: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored
Billy Small: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B, 3B
Michael Rhodes: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
Kevin Kopas: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored
Spartan Pitching Leaders
Bobby Kuehn: 6.2 IP, 9 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 K, 2 BB, 1 WP, 2 HBP (Win, 2-1)
Ben Demchak: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 3 K, 2 BB
Jeff Noss: 0.1 IP, 1 K (Save, 1)
Stevenson Pitching Leaders
Kevin Kopac: 2.2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 1 K, 2 BB, 2 HBP (Loss, 0-1)
Erik Arenberg: 1.1 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP
Mike Elia: 01. IP, 2 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB
Austin Reitz: 1.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 K, 1 BB, WP
Michael Remeikis: 3.0 IP, 1 hit, 5 K, 1 BB, WP
How It Happened
• After a scoreless first inning, York jumped on top with a pair of runs in the top of the second. The Spartan uprising was aided by a big Stevenson error that extended the inning and allowed York to plate the pair.
• York pushed the lead to 3-0 on a Patrick Clement sacrifice fly with the bases loaded in the top of the third.
• The Spartans had a huge top of the fifth as York pushed across four runs in the inning, ballooning the lead to 9-0. Brosius had a sacrifice fly to start the scoring. Christian Bilan had another sacrifice fly for the second run of the frame. Devin Chapman then drilled a two-run single to left and eventually moved to third on a Mustang error. Chapman would get stranded at third to end the inning.
• The Mustangs finally got to Spartan starter Bobby Kuehn in the sixth inning. Stevenson banged out five hits in the frame, scoring three and cutting York's lead to 9-3.
• Stevenson cut into the York lead further with a pair of runs in the bottom of the seventh as the Mustangs trailed 9-5.
• After a quiet eighth and top of the ninth, Stevenson made things very interesting. Matthew Kerber doubled to left center with one out to start the Mustang rally. After a fly ball moved Kerber to third, Billy Small walked to put Mustangs at the corners. Michael Rhodes singled to left, plating Kerber and moving Small to second. Jeff Noss relieved Ben Demchak and got a strikeout to end the game and earn the save, his first of the year.
The Spartans improves to 25-11 all-time against the Mustangs as York has won two straight against Stevenson and three of the last four in the series … York scored nine runs with just one extra base hit, a double from Garrett Southern … York has had eight games with three extra base hits or less for the season and they have yet to hit a home run in an official game this year … York drew a season-high nine walks in the win while they struck out a season-high 10 times … York stole three bases for the third time this year … The Spartan pitching staff allowed 11 hits and that marks the fourth time this year they have allowed double figures in hits in a game … with Wednesday's postponement at Harrisburg, the Spartans have lost four games to weather and they have one game that was suspended (March 8 vs. Frostburg).
The Spartans is scheduled to return to the field on Saturday when they head to Dover, Delaware to face the Wesley Wolverines in a Capital Athletic Conference twin bill. Game one is slated for a 12:00 pm start. The Spartans' CAC game at Penn State Harrisburg scheduled for Wednesday has already been postponed with no make up date determined.
Devin Chapman Photo Courtesy of Greg Myers