ELIZABETHTOWN, PA – The York College baseball team won their second straight on Thursday as they posted a 6-5, 11 inning non-conference win at Elizabethtown College. York got the game-winner when Seth Brosius hit a solo home run to left with two outs in the top of the 11th. The Spartans improve to 9-25-1 overall while the Blue Jays are now 18-15 with the setback.
How It Happened:
• Elizabethtown got a pair of runs in the bottom of the second to take the 2-1 lead. Kyle Fackler had an RBI double to give the Blue Jays the early lead.
• Elizabethtown made it 4-1 in the bottom of the third with a pair of runs. Brian Portillo had an RBI single and then later in the inning, Nick Lorenz had a sacrifice fly for the Blue Jays.
• York trimmed their deficit by one in the fourth as Lackey had an RBI ground out.
• The Spartans tied the game in the sixth as Lackey notched his third RBI of the day as he drove in Brosius with a single. Patrick Clement would have a sacrifice fly later in the inning to tie the game at four.
• Elizabethtown took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the eighth Fackler had an infield single to score Lorenz from third with two outs in the frame.
• York tied the game for a second time in the top of the ninth as Sean Mohollen walked, was sacrificed to second and moved to third on a wild pitch. Brosius singled through the right side to score Mohollen, knotting the score at five.
• The Blue Jays looked like they had the game won in the bottom of the tenth as Frank Ragozzino singled through the right side with two outs. James Kanter stroked a double to right center but pinch runner Doug Hook was held at third. York walked the next hitter intentionally before coaxing a shallow pop up to second to send the game to the top of the 11th.
• Brosius played hero for York in the top of the 11th after the first two Spartans had flied out in the inning. The home run was his third of the year.
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Seth Brosius: 4-for-5, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, BB
Brayden Lackey: 2-for-5, 3 RBI
Collin Crowell: 2-for-6
Logan Countryman: 1-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2B, 2 BB
Elizabethtown Offensive Leaders:
Kyle Fackler: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 2B, BB
Brian Portillo: 2-for-6, 1 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Frank Ragozzino: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, BB
Spartan Pitching Leaders:
Bobby Kuehn: 5.0 IP, 5 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 BB, 2 K
Scott Steffy: 4.2 IP, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 4 K, 2 BB
Will Grega: 1.1 IP, 2 hits, 1 K, 0 BB
Elizabethtown Pitching Leaders:
Dylan Manning: 5.0 IP, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 K, 3 BB
Richy Masciarelli: 0.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 0 K
Josh Kwak: 3.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Zack Tomasko: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 2 K, 1 BB
Jay Singer: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K
Winning Pitcher (Record): Will Grega (2-2)
Losing Pitcher (Record): Jay Singer (1-2)
Save (Number): none
Notes: York got six runs on 12 hits with three errors while the Blue Jays had five runs on 10 hits with one error … the Spartans have now won two straight for the second time this year … York is now four wins away from 1,000 wins in program history … Seth Brosius's go-ahead home run is the second time that a home run in the final inning has won the game for York … the win is just York's second in 23 games when trailing after the eighth inning … York is now 2-4 in one-run games but they are 2-1 in extra innings … Will Grega's two wins are tied for second on the Spartan staff, one back of Joel Kenney's team-leading three victories.
What's Next: The Spartans return to action on Tuesday afternoon when they travel to Montclair State to face the Red Hawks in a non-conference contest in Montclair, New Jersey. First pitch is set for 4:00 pm.