LANCASTER, PA – The York College baseball team dropped their third straight on Wednesday as they fell to St. Mary's College 10-8 in Capital Athletic Conference action in St. Mary's City, MD. The Spartans fall to 7-17-1 and 5-5 in the conference while the Seahawks improve to 6-17 overall and 2-8 in the league.
How It Happened:
• York opened the scoring in the top of the fourth as Collin Crowell singled to left. Sean Mohollen followed with a single to center as the Green and White had two on and no outs. Senior Steve Miller then blasted a three-run shot to left as York took a 3-0 lead.
• St. Mary's wasted little time in responding as they plated a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth. Colin Thatcher and Stetson Cox each had RBI singles in the inning.
• York put another three spot in the top of the fifth. Crowell had an RBI single and he would come around to score on a two-run single from Logan Countryman as York led 6-2.
• St. Mary's came roaring back in the bottom of the fifth as they put a six spot up on the board. The Seahawks got six runs on five hits, two walks and a hit batter.
• St. Mary's pushed the lead to 10-6 with a two spot in the eighth as Hayden Ferrington had a two-run single to right center.
• York got two runs back in the top of the ninth to make it interesting. Seth Brosius had an RBI single followed by Luke Knott getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. The Spartans had the bases loaded with two outs but the Seahawks got a strikeout to end the game.
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Collin Crowell: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, RBI
Sean Mohollen: 2-for-5, 3 runs scored
Steve Miller: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Seth Brosius: 2-for-5, RBI
Logan Countryman: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, HBP
SMC Offensive Leaders:
Hayden Ferrington: 2-for-5, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Zach Rowe: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, RBI, BB
Michael O'Neill: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, RBI
Connor Goodie: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, RBI, 3 BB
Spartan Pitching Leaders:
Jeff Noss: 4.0 IP, 5 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 BB, 3 K, WP, HB
Chris Wolf: 3.1 IP, 4 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 K, 2 BB
Scott Steffy: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 K, 2 BB
Seahawk Pitching Leaders:
Nicholas Raimondo: 6.0 IP, 9 hits, 6 earned runs, 6 K, 2 BB, WP
Josh Loftus: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 2 K
Matt Henigan: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 2 K, 1 BB
Winning Pitcher (Record): Nicholas Raimondo (3-2)
Losing Pitcher (Record): Chris Wolf (2-2)
Save (Number): None
Notes: York got eight runs on 13 hits with no errors while St. Mary's got 10 runs on 10 hits with one miscue … York did not commit an error for the sixth time this year and the Spartans are 3-3 in those games … The Spartans split the season series with the Seahawks as York captured an 8-0 win at home on March 16 … York did not hit a double in the game for the second straight game and the fourth time this year as they are now 0-4 in double-less games … York is now 2-8 on the road … York is now 1-6-1 in their last seven.
What's Next: The Spartans head to Marymount University to take on the Saints in a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. First pitch from Arlington, Virginia is set for 12:00 pm.