MIDDLETOWN, PA – The York College baseball squad got a brilliant performance from sophomore right-hander Joel Kenney as the Spartans earned a 4-1 Capital Athletic Conference win at Penn State Harrisburg on a frigid Saturday afternoon in Middletown, PA. The Spartans improve to 1-0 in the conference and 2-7 overall. The Lions are now 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the league.
How It Happened:
• The game was scoreless through the first five innings as Joel Kenney and Mark Artley took turns throwing zeroes up on the scoreboard.
• The Spartans opened the scoring in the top of the sixth. Sophomore Zach Hossler doubled to lead off the inning. He was sacrificed to third and then rode home when Sean Mohollen blasted a two-run shot to center, putting the Green and White up 2-0. Steve Miller would double with two outs followed by a Seth Brosius walk but the Lions would get out of the frame without any further damage.
• The Lions nicked Kenney in the bottom of the sixth as Harrisburg had three straight singles to score a run. Kenney got out of the inning when Brosius nailed a runner trying to steal third for the final out of the frame.
• York added two crucial insurance runs in the top of the seventh. York loaded the bases and Patrick Clement scored the first run with a sacrifice fly. The Spartans got the second run on a bases loaded walk. York couldn't get another run as the Lions escaped without further damage.
• Will Grega came into to close out the game in the ninth. He walked the first batter he faced but retired the next three to earn his first collegiate save.
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Sean Mohollen: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run, HR
Zach Hossler: 2-for-5, 1 run, 2B
Steve Miller: 1-for-4, 2B
Harrisburg Offensive Leaders:
Blake Reiff: 2-for-4
Scott Angstad: 1-for-4, RBI
Kevin Kremer: 1-for-4, 1 run
Spartan Pitching Leaders:
Joel Kenney: 8.0 IP, 8 hits, 1 earned run, 9 K, 1 BB
Will Grega: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 K, 1 BB
Harrisburg Pitching Leaders:
Mark Artley: 6.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 5 K, 3 BB
Michael Bals: 0.0 IP, 2 earned runs, 2 BB
Brendan Riot: 1.2 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB
Derek Slagle: 1.1 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs
Winning Pitcher (Record): Joel Kenney (1-1)
Losing Pitcher (Record): Mark Artley (0-3)
Save (Number): Will Grega (1)
Notes: York got four runs on seven hits with no errors while Harrisburg got one run on eight hits with no errors … York left nine stranded runners while Harrisburg stranded eight … Freshman Will Grega picked up his first collegiate save with a solid ninth inning of work … the win snaps a five game Spartan losing streak … York was held to under five runs for the fifth time this season … Joel Kenney struck out a career-high nine while he worked a career-high eight innings in his first victory of the year … the one run allowed is the lowest opponent total of the year.
Time of the Game: 2:47
What's Next: The Spartans return action on Monday afternoon when they travel to Rowan University to take on the Profs in a non-conference contest. First pitch from Glassboro, NJ is set for 3:00 pm.